Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

86 200 merc overheating

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
dmottjr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

86 200 merc overheating

been haveing some overheating problems hit a log the other day now it overheats when i get on it .found wood in waterpump replaced pump and houseing again .took it out today idle temp ok soon as a get on it temp gage rises fast water stream good comeing from piss hole still climbs fast and alarm sounds can someone help me stats and pump r new thanks .im a rookie on outboards

Topic Author
dmottjr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: 86 200 merc overheating

help please

luckydog
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

If there was wood in the pump it might be assumed there could be some in the cooling lines. You may have to take them off and blow them out. You may have some wood in the block too. Did you remove the pump drive to ensure it didn't strip the teeth on it's drive? Wondering, did you properly install the housing? I'm not familiar with that particular motor but the connection of the housing to the cooling lines may be the culprit. I'd want to make sure the lines were clean regardless though any wood in them may have found it's way into the water jacket (block). That's my two bits...Good luck.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Run the motor on muffs with the thermostats and popit out to flush the block. It sounds like the popit is stuck. If that doesn't work pull the lower again and backflush. Did you replace the.pump base?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
dmottjr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

yes i replaced the pump base i have good flow from piss hole .im gonna pull poppet valve tonite and blow out lines thanks any other input would be great thanks

Topic Author
dmottjr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

poppit valve had a piece of wood stuck in it .flushed motor front to back getting new part today and cross my fingers lol
:boating:

luckydog
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Awesome!

Topic Author
dmottjr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Had boat out friday still over heating decided to remove heads lower unit and exhaust plate found 3 ports on head clogged with wood and water pump material should I do anything else while I have motor apart besides clear out passages let me no thank you

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

luckydog
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Wondering if you took the line off at the pisser could it be plugged right at the outlet? Is it shooting out extra hard? Could indicate a partial blockage somewhere perhaps at that end (outlet). Did you say you changed the impeller? Did you get it in right as far as all the arms facing the proper direction? Other than that I would check every part of the cooling system, if you had wood up that far be thorough. Well again don't profess to be an expert just trying to help...Good luck.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post