Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

89 2.4 liter bridgeport

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

89 2.4 liter bridgeport

Hi, I was originally going to put a 200 optimax on my 15 foot viper- but after buying the motor and seeing how big it is and how much it weighs I decided to sell the motor- now I was looking for a 200 efi like my 150 xr6 but I came across a 89 bridgeport 2.4 liter with very low hours on it- I wanted to know what you guys thought of this motor pros and cons- before I waste more money- the owner said that it pushed their 21 foot checkmate 68 mile an hour- so it should push my boat really fast. The motor is carbureted . I am not sure of the hp- the owner thinks it is 240 but Im not sure. I do know that it is definitely more hp than my 150- I would also think it weighs less. Anyway your input would be greatly appreciated. :boating:

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: 89 2.4 liter bridgeport

I may be wrong here, it's happened once before. My understanding is the bridgeports are big power producers at the cost of reliability. But even saying that, if I came across one I'd probably pick it up anyways.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi idvette, thanks for the info-I was wondering about the reliability of it too- I would not be pushing it to its limits but I would push it. I am still going to research it a little more. I wonder if transomstand has one on his boat? It kinda looks like it- but then again what do I know.

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

They were known for the port bridges cracking from heat, then you'd stick a piston, then you'd get a big hole in the block.

There are a lot of guys who've run them a long time, just feed it good gas and oil, don't get it hot. Problem is, buying used is always a crap shoot, so make your decision on condition.

If you buy it, prepare yourself for a 50% increase in horsepower over the XR2, the boat can reach 100 mph with the right setup, so be CAREFUL.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Almost forgot, BUY A BIG GAS TANK, those things are hogs :pound:
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Sonik
Regular
Regular

transomstand wrote:Almost forgot, BUY A BIG GAS TANK, those things are hogs :pound:
What ^ said. A BP on a Viper is a pretty serious piece so I hope you're prepared if/when you go through with that plan.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post