Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1977 Mercury 200 Questions?

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

1977 Mercury 200 Questions?

I picked up a 1977 Viking recently and will be replacing the core, and possibly the transom. I know plenty about re-coring a boat, but very little about the Engines that run them. I was surprised to see that the hydraulic pump for the trim and tilt is separate and screwed down in the back of the boat. Here are my questions. First, my understanding is that if I break something, the replacement parts for it will be hard to find. Second, the hydraulic lines run through the transom to the motor. I feel like to correctly do the re-core in the back of the boat, I should remove the motor from the boat. The core is rotten, but the stringers look ok. I am leaning toward replacing the stringers as well, while I am in there. I am somewhat stuck, not knowing how to remove the pump from the motor and the motor from the boat, without damaging the hydraulic lines. Is there some tricks or advice someone can pass along? Also, it appears to me that the hydraulic lines coming through the transom, will interfere with me installing a jackplate. The motor seems to be sitting in a nice spot, but I would like a jackplate someday.

Here are the real questions.
1. Can someone explain how to unhook the pump and remove the motor without damaging the hydraulic lines.
2. Is there a fairly inexpensive way to replace the pump with a more current bracket, that contains the pump, so I can eliminate the jackplate problem, or is it not an issue?
3. If the stringers are not replaced, is there enough support in the back of the boat to support the motor if the floor and core is removed, but the stringers and transom are left intact?

I can post some pictures if it helps explain better.

Thanks in advance for any comments to help.

Bill

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: 1977 Mercury 200 Questions?

I have to think someone got "creative" with the pump installation because the original was very straightforward. The original setup has hoses that connected to the lower engine bolts (which were hollow) with SAE 45°fittings.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks Pete,
I'm thinking I should be able to just unhook the hydraulic cable at the transom and back the engine away? When I pull the motor, will those fittings stay with the engine bracket or unhook somehow and stay in the transom? Any thoughts? Oh, haven't given up on the Ventura II either. Almost all cleaned out. :D
Bill

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

The hoses should disconnect from the lower engine bolts inside and outside, then just unscrew the nuts and remove the lower bolts like you normally would. Remember the bolts are hollow and have the SAE fittings machined in each end, so the bolt is like a 7 inch long bulkhead connector. If I can scrounge a pic this might get easier.
transomstand

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Lower bolt
transomstand

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

transomstand wrote:Image

Lower bolt
would these bolts handle the horse power of modern motors?? has anyone used these recently to make a cleaner install??
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Topic Author
VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Thanks guys,
Got the pump out yesterday and hope to lift the motor off today. I get it now. I have never seen a setup like this, but I'm ok with it.
Bill

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

YDOC462 wrote:
would these bolts handle the horse power of modern motors?? has anyone used these recently to make a cleaner install??
Better off with bulkhead fittings. Those bolts are hard to find, cost 60 bucks, and can be a pain in the *** sometimes. Should be strong enough, they used them on the old 2.4 Formula motors.
transomstand

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post