Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

fussing with 1985 v/6 evinrude gearcase

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
mitchielpricer
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

fussing with 1985 v/6 evinrude gearcase

fussing with 1985 evinrude v/6 235 gearcase for years i removed it to replace the high maintenance water pump only to pay to have it reinstalled because i cant get the trick to do it by myself i just loose my cool.. i cant get it to line up the shift rod the drive shaft the water tube whats up i shake i wiggle i look to see ..any help
Last edited by mitchielpricer on Jun 09, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Topic Author
mitchielpricer
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

fussing with evinrude v/6 gearcase

sorry for the rant but ive had this boat many years and always paid to have someone else reinstal the gearcase after i removed it to change out water pump.. i am fussing with getting it to slide back in & line up sick to death of paying for this any help..1985 evinrude v/6 crossflow 235

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Re: fussing with 1985 v/6 evinrude gearcase

using bungees around case helps if you trying to do it alone......i leave motor and gear case in neutral....lift gear case until i got water tube lined up....next is the drive shaft( mercury) while holding pressure on shaft with 1 hand on the case ....i reach up and turn flywheel until shaft pops in...on mercs u can then get the front nut started so it takes the weight off while lining up the shift shaft....might have to go back down then up again until you stab it on.

im usually ready to throw up from straining by the time im done.

what will really piss you off is when you get everything tightened up....try on hose and NO WATER FLOW!! off she comes again for another round!!
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Topic Author
mitchielpricer
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: fussing with 1985 v/6 evinrude gearcase

thank you i know what your saying but again this is is a evinrude and it clearly states put into reverse before removeing the gear case and dont take it out untill its bolted back and operational the linkage cable tray is removed at the lower carb to get acess to the thru pinch bolt that connects to the shift rod so moveing the shifter is not advisable considering the throtle /shift cable holds is removed dont want to risk it got a friend that worked on this motor years ago thats going to do this sunday thank you. gary

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post