Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1980 Evinrude Coils Discrepency?

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
KEPSTANG
The new guy
The new guy

1980 Evinrude Coils Discrepency?

I have an '80 model Evinrude 140HP engine that came with the boat that I just picked up and am going trough all of the electronics and wiring to make it as reliable as possible. I am going to change the plugs, coils and CDI out as well. FYI, the engine number is E140TRLCSA

In going through the coils, I noticed that even though the manual shows the same part number for all four coils, I have two coils that are plainly different than the other two. One coil is mounted on the upper cylinder and has the plug wire post on it as well as a smaller plug wire type post on it with insulator type connector with an orange wire going to the wiring harness connector. The other coil does not have the small post at all but instead has an yellow wire coming out of the back of the epoxy filled coil cavity and terminating at the wiring harness connector. (See Attached Picture)

The other side is opposite. The dual post coil is mounted on the lower cylinder and the other coil with the wire going into the back is located on the upper cylinder.

All wiring looks to be 100% factory. I did figure out that when replacing the coils that the pins need to be extracted from the connector and the new wire inserted in its place.

Is this just a coincidence the coils on each side are swapped high/low? Should I get a post type connector for the wire that comes out of the back of the single post coil and terminate it on the small post of the dual post coils that are available now? I am assuming that this is the coil firing circuit?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Coil Packs Smaller.JPG
Coil Packs Smaller.JPG (143.88 KiB) Viewed 5468 times

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post