Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1981 venus questions

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
upper decker
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

1981 venus questions

I am new to this board, but I am not new to Hydrostream boats as I have been around them most of my life. My father was a hot boater and owned many boats from Howard, a Venture, a panther, a Viper comp and a Vector comp.
I returned to the sport of hot boating in my mid 30's and guess what hull was my choice?
By the time of my return it was well known that these hull had rot problems due to their lightweight design.
Since my return I have floored, cored and transumed the following: 1 Vector 1, 3 pad v Vkings, 1 Vking yt, and 1 HST lightwieght MOD VP
My latest project is a 1981 pad v Venus, and I seek answers to the following questions
1) Do the pad v Venus and the Vulture share the same bottom design?
2) Does any of you know any mods to these bottoms to gain performance? at a glance this hull looks to have one hell of a hook in the chines
This hull will have the floor, core and transum replaced. Its looking like I will be able to save the stock blue to silver flake finish :boating:

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: 1981 venus questions

Welcome the the forum!

As I understand it, a lot of the 20 ft decks (Vegas, Venus, Voyager, Vulture) will fit on the XT or the pad V hull.
As far as the warped chines, I guess they all have that.
29m2fcx.jpg
29m2fcx.jpg (489.96 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

So, are we ready for some controversy?

If I was redoing a Stream with 20ft V pad, I would consider modifying (cut off) the back of the extended pad. I've thought about this and it would do three things:

It would reduce the suction/break free problem these hulls have getting up on the pad.

There would be no reason (or place) to mount those little pieces of angle plate.

But mainly, by reducing the length of the pad, you're changing the center of gravity (at pad speed). I'm saying that you will need less set back to make this long boat fly.

So what do y'all think? What am I missing?
green.jpg
green.jpg (114.13 KiB) Viewed 3106 times

Topic Author
upper decker
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

thanks for the reply, and I two have thought the same when looking at the pad extension/ concave area. Like you mentioned when on the pad the built into hull setback would be greater and would lessen the need for so much bracket set back, a plus when it comes to transom stress i would think. My thoughts wonder what the trade off would be in having the chines so much longer than the pad, could this promote chining?
My Venus has the same bottom as you pictured, and I to have the vacuum breakers install as you have pictured.
I am debating trying this mod you speak of, thinking that if done right, it could be returned to stock it needed. the more i consider it the more I would like to give it a try. Thanks for the input and yes the 20ft Hydrostream pad V has some really bent chines as seen on the pic of the blue vulture.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Welcome upper decker.

I don't think it would make any difference in the suction issue because it's the concave area causing it and it would still be there. I do see your point as far as set back. I would look to filling that area in and extending the bottom back all the way. Another easy thing I was thinking of after looking at Hippies is to run a tube on each side through to the splashwell with a check ball to allow air to go down the tube but not let water up it when you come off the pad.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
upper decker
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Will post pic's of this project soon, wouldn't shorting the pad as suggested also cure that vac problem, thinking that maybe, it a combination of the concave area and the side of the extended pad that cause that vac area. Just a thought thanks for the input guys

Topic Author
upper decker
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Well got into the project for a few hours, got about 75% of the foam out of the hull. Still considering the pro and cons of taking the pad extension off. 77viper and surface scratch er have brought up alot of "food for thought" no this idea that scratcher had of removing that pad extension.
IM liking this hull the more I'm getting into it. Always like the concept of the Venus and the hot boat cuddy hybrid idea. The cudddy is big enough for the recreational use that I intend to use it for, and with that hatch opened the possibilities are endless

Topic Author
upper decker
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Put some more blood sweat and band-aids into my Venus today. I got all the foam out of the boat now and started taking up the floor. Yes this one needs a core was surprised to see the stringers were in decent shape. Planning to replace them anyway. Trying to figure a way to center steer this hull. Working on how to do it nice and clean, with good access to the cuddy. I'm thinking of loosing the splashwell and angle/knee bracing the trans all the way to the top of the transom. I will start to post pic's as I start to reconstruct. There seems to be enough pic' of rotten stuff already. :nutkick: :boating: :der:

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

We like rotten pics to so get to posting already!!! :slap: :up:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

:agree: the more rotten the easier it is! Pics please :up:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
upper decker
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I would like to know if anyone has done the pad mod that surface scratcher has brought up, if so what were the results? Please more thoughts on this would be great

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post