Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

What Hydrostream do you own? (Poll)

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Select the Hydrostream model/s you own.

You may select up to 5 options

View results

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What Hydrostream do you own? (Poll)

rigaud wrote:1986 Valero (CAnadian Edition) core, stringers and transom was done 2-3 years ago. 1987 Johnson 150 GT
Very nice! And welcome. :wave: Post a few pictures if you can cause we all love pictures!
hoop235 wrote:Hippie,

That would work for me. I checked both pictures and they were below 3Mb.
Should be all set now. Hope that works. :up:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

hoop235
The new guy
The new guy

Ok thanks!!

Here is a couple of pics of the boat "in progress". I still have a couple of weeks worth of work to have it water ready but getting closer.
IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0469.JPG (2.34 MiB) Viewed 10600 times
IMG_0463.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG (2.62 MiB) Viewed 10600 times

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

DSCN6949s1.jpg
DSCN6949s1.jpg (222.14 KiB) Viewed 10599 times

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's the only real interior shots I have seen of that boat and it looks great! I like it even more now.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
-Kevin

1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

hoop235 wrote:I bought my first Hydrosteam a few months back, a "Varmint" in Bingamton, NY from "GregPro", but havn't been able to put in the water yet.
Bought the boat without a motor as I have a 2.4 200 to put on it. After getting my hands on the boat, I didn't like the steering setup so I removed the ole Ride Guide setup and installed a new SeaStar Pro. This allowed me to move the steering wheel over and down on the console so I now have an almost "center" steering setup. Looking forward to "trying" to drive my first Stream!!!
Excitement factor should be high. LOL!!
Welcome to this wonderful site!
Lot's of great info here! And great people!

James
79 Vector needs restore (on hold for now)
79 V-King getting restored (WIP)

hoop235
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks guys it's been a labor of love for sure. I added trim tabs to the boat thinking it might help with the "Hydrosteam Bounce" that I've read about.
Does anyone on here have any advice or experience with them??
Attachments
IMG_0473.JPG
IMG_0473.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 10570 times

Streamer
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

There are lots of threads about this issue, and ( JMO ) most of the issues are set up related. And then there were a few I read about that they could not get rid of it. I suspect hull defects or warpage to be responsible for these, as there was mold warping issues. http://hydrostream.org/Specific%20Models/Vector.htm Read the complete article, and it will describe in detail the hull and mold issues.

The Varmint has basically a Vector hull http://hydrostream.org/Specific%20Models/Varmint.htm.

In my research, I found that with the Vectors and V-Kings ( I have one of both, but neither one wet yet ) "Allot" of guys mount the motors as close to the transom as possible, moving the center of gravity forward.
Those trim tabs may do just exactly what you want though....I read some good threads about those as well. I actually had a set of fixed tabs on one of my Checkmates from years ago, but were there just for the hole shot, and ran high and dry when up on the semi pad they had.

My guess is "if" that boat had the porpoise issue, and I believe it did. ( I saw his youtube video's...I actually considered buying the boat, didn't because I really wanted a V-King....but ended up with a V-King and Vector :shock: ) You have likely resolved that issue with those tabs. AND you have centered up the weight distribution.

You have done a wonderful job with the modifications you have done. :up:

I can add only one thing....Please be sure you have, or you do it yourself....be SURE the core and transom are rock solid. If you research HydroStream hull failures, you will see why Hippe and others...and now me suggest you do this.

I hope your hull integrity is perfect!! :up: :up:

James

P.S. I sent you a PM about the steering you removed. It should fit my Vector quit well. If you care to part with it?
79 Vector needs restore (on hold for now)
79 V-King getting restored (WIP)

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

There have been a handful of guys that have put fixed trim tabs on and swear by them and have made undriveable boats driveable again. Then you have the majority of the folks that dont have them and have zero issues and worked out all the kinks just by tuning their set up. I have a set that may or may not end up on my Vulture but they are also fixed so when its up on plane/the pad, they wont be in the water what so ever. Yours look like they may drag a little bit. On a hydrostream I would probably go with a fix or pretty flat trim tab. Here are the ones I have. Just made out of aluminum. Of course being winter here in Minnesota, my boat is put away until spring so here they sit.

:boating:
Attachments
20161211_133623_resize.jpg
20161211_133623_resize.jpg (705.71 KiB) Viewed 10560 times
-Kevin

1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen

hoop235
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks Streamer & Hippie, I really appreciate your replys.
Yes, I have centered the weight up to aid in driving this boat at speed. I had a hard time finding a built-in gas tank to fit in this thing but finally found a 13gal tank that sits along the back with two standard batteries right in front of it. I have balanced the boat on the pad with a floor jack with me in it so this should help things on the water at speed.
The trim tabs I installed are on the soft side. They are made for a 60-150hp 15'-18' boat with about 4"-5" of travel. You can pull them up by your hand with some moderate effort. They do hang down below the boat slightly but "should" fold up to level once underway. I'm guessing that they will drop back down once the boat gets up on the pad unless the wind resistance is enough to "hold" them up and out of the way?? (Maybe help balance the boat at speed?)
For what it's worth, I did lay a straight edge on the pad and it seems pretty flat with no big hook in it. Yes the "wedge" is there but the pad area seems to be in good shape.
I know Greg run this boat into the low 80's and all of the inspection holes and seat mounts in the floor show the core to be in descent shape. No obvious black spots. I will take my time and slowly increase the load/speed to see how things go and make adjustments from there.
BTW: I did buy a new Lifeline Race jacket if that tells you my respect for these boats!

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

hoop235 wrote:Thanks guys it's been a labor of love for sure. I added trim tabs to the boat thinking it might help with the "Hydrosteam Bounce" that I've read about.
Does anyone on here have any advice or experience with them??

Hopefully your good at glass work and swimming. Nothing good is going to come of that installation.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post