Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Odred a new Bob's low water pick up and now looking at a jac

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Odred a new Bob's low water pick up and now looking at a jac

Looking at Bob's new type of jackplate with the motor pump mounted to the jackplate .But kinda cunfused my 200 Merc is mounted solid to the transom at a 6'' set back .My problem is how do you find out witch plate you need ? I was thinking a 4'' set back jackplate to get the 6'' set right ? or would a 6'' jackpate be the way to go with my 86 Vegus.I read on a topic on here about somebody putting a ''6 setback jackplate and now need to put sand bags in the nose of the boat and move the batties and fuel tank .To me the boat had to much set back the way it looked like the smaller lighter boat should go with a 4'' set back that way the motor wight isn't sinking the rear of the boat .my boat does have good streering no lock up but did pull to the left alittle when the old land and sea nose cone was on .I think with a jackplate my boat would be close to the 100 mph mark .with my son and I we can get high 80's before the boat starts to get alittle warm and the water psi get to about 8 so we slow her down and the water psi go higher and temp goes down .And I down want to drill new hole's to mount a jackplate . But with a Bob's low water pick up think that will help with the warming up deal , and a Bob's jackplate and motor set right my famliey boat could be a rocit ship . it's fast now with the familey of 5 in the boat 70 mph but it take about 5 or 6 mile wide open when it starts to warm up and alittle the water psi starts to go down . Had the bell's going off when day my wife and I took it out last fall on the river never was even getting close to getting hot got to the Petenwell dam trun round sprayed the bridge and got down river running 50 mph and the bell's went off put in nutrel and slowly rev up the motor and it was cooling down and pust the tilt lifting the motor out of the water there was a platic bag around my low unit trying to suck the bag in grab the bag off and it cooled right down never got hot again . then my son and I took her out agan didn't get hot but the nose cone broke off and cent us into a 45 and I thought we was going to roll the boat over when in dowt give the gas the boat came right back . I watch a guy with a Vking roll 5 times on youtube the boat started to chine and he let off and rolled the boat ,when he let off the gas the nose of the boat fell to the water in to a bad roll .

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Odred a new Bob's low water pick up and now looking at a

My boat is quite a bit smaller than yours, I don't think you'll have a problem similar to mine. I don't know what setback other Vegas pilots are using, so I won't recommend anything specific. I was just wondering what you meant by 6" setback, motor mounted to transom. Is it a setback plate you have in place of a jackplate?

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

My Merc has 5 bolt hole's on each side and lower sides so theres 20 hole's on the power tilt and trim mount you can bring the motor up or down a bolt hole there's 4 bolts that hold the motor mount on . . So I'm thinking thats how you get the set back on the transom with out a jack plate, I don't know the degree the transom that goe's down at .So the longer the jack plate push's the weight of the motor back and brining the nose of the boat up and hard on the transom . My motor is mounted solid to the transom no bracket's just big bolts and washers .lol Maybe I'm very confused . :D Sorry I'm not the best speller .Really love this Hydrostream site .

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

If your motor's bolted to the transom, then there's no setback. Setback is when you have the engine mounted away from the transom, on either a jackplate or fixed plate to get the prop running in cleaner water. I needed to get my motor up and back to make my boat handle better. I could have bought a fixed plate and a shorter midsection, but I don't have a pile of dough to throw at the boat, so a 6" jackplate seemed like the answer for me. As with anything else, when you change 1 thing, other things change, so that's what I'm dealing with right now. A few sandbags aren't a bad idea in my opinion, but obviously not ideal....

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Attachments
Jackplate
Jackplate
IMG-20120519-00120.jpg (205.38 KiB) Viewed 3128 times
No Jackplate
No Jackplate
IMG-20110725-00053.jpg (216.65 KiB) Viewed 3128 times

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Ya the guy from Tenn state that built my motor said it is at a 6 '' set back did I get f ed over you think ? thanks for you great info . love your boat to . :D

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I have a 12" paralift on my 91 Vegas with a 200 on it. It's defiantly not too much. I can't find a good picture of it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Fly N By, post a picture of where your motor is bolted to the transom, not close up, wide enough to see the engine as well. We'll be able to let you know what you have without all the guessing.

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet