Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

vector 115 merc

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
schillaz
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

vector 115 merc

Hey guys, I'm assuming someone has been down this road before me so figured I would ask some questions.
(my plan for this boat is just to go out and have some fun, not planning on setting records)

I have a Vector with an old school 1115 mercury I've never hung an outboard on a boat before so I have alot of questions.
1-What is the optimum height of the outboard prop vs rear of boat ect...
2-should I be using a jack plate if so what size would be best?
3-with this motor on the vector will I need a different lower unit or pickup?
4-what blade/pitch would you guys suggest to start out with?
Attachments
vector_motor2.jpg
vector_motor2.jpg (119.21 KiB) Viewed 5464 times

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: vector 115 merc

Best overall combination without getting silly on the money is, if you are typically running this by yourself, raise the motor so that the propshaft is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches below the "pad." Get some bondo and fill in the top two water inlets, so that your bottom holes will be sucking all the water, and not so much air. get a 14 x 22 or so "inline chopper" which is $150-$250 or so on ebay. if you are going to keep it as a side steer boat, move your battery slammed to the transom on the port side (since you are sitting on the starboard side). move your gas tanks slammed to the transom next to the battery. With the old inline 115, if built before 1982, this is a crankshaft rated motor, so maybe 105 hp at the prop, you will close to 60mph. The vector is a viper with a longer nose, and a little more weight toward the bow. You will have a blast with it. I don't think your 115 will swing a 14 x24 chopper but it may. If you are 140 pounds, and your boat is a lighter vector, it may. if so, you could see 63-65 mph pretty easily, especially if you get your pad good and straight, and sharp. Some of these boats hook up pretty well without much work, and others, you do a lot of work and don't get much benefit. My second Viper I ever bought had an old 1976 115 evinrude, no trim and tilt, with a 13 x20 ski prop, with the motor buried in the water and the pad had a nasty hook in it, and I could gps 59.6. When you consider that some guys have an old 140, with a pricey prop, and the motor jacked up, and are running 65mph, I think 59.6 was pretty good. If you are just having some fun, do the stuff above, that does not cost a lot, and the prop, and you will like it. If you want to pick up more top end, I can show you what to do to the pad to give you an easy 3-5 mph, as it did on the same viper that originally only did 59.6. ronny is my name 443 975 8469 thanks

Topic Author
schillaz
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

OK thanks Ronny will keep in touch.

I think i will end up replacing my lower unit since the one i have is trashed, Looks like the dude before me when too many places he shouldn't have.
That being said what would be the best lower unit to try and find for this motor on this boat.

Also what about a jack plate? I plan to run this motor for afew seasons learn to drive it safely, work out all the bugs then put a 150 or 200 on. So I would rather not poke more holes in the transom.
(Just trying to look ahead.....guessing I will want to go faster just like everyone else). hahah
Attachments
IMG_20140718_184913_754.jpg
IMG_20140718_184913_754.jpg (101.48 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
IMG_20140718_184904_831.jpg
IMG_20140718_184904_831.jpg (61.27 KiB) Viewed 5453 times
IMG_20140718_184850_310.jpg
IMG_20140718_184850_310.jpg (113.14 KiB) Viewed 5453 times

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

you don't need to replace that lower. just clean up. more than any lower unit you can buy for that, you could add a low water pick up from somewhere like bob's machine, which would allow you to raise the motor more, but at your speed, even adding a nose cone can slow you down . nose cones tend to not help until 70ish. If you are going to get more motor at some point, like a v-6, just run what you have now, and build up and tune your set up when you have a v-6. for the same money/time as adding low water pickup and/or replacing the lower unit, you could sell your good running 115 for $800, and find a 1982-1988 115 for $1000-$1200 and this would give you an honest extra 5 mph, easy. you don't need a jackplate if your situation is usually the same. In other words, if you are usually with the same amount of weight, in similar water conditions, once you get the ideal height, you can leave it, but if sometimes you want to go fast with another person, you will want to be able to adjust the height easily, and this is where the jack plate comes into play. Especially if you are going to have a v-6 at some point, you definitely don't want to add more set-back than needed, as the extra weight of the v-6 is already too much for a vector, and the leverage of a plate will only magnify the problem.

Topic Author
schillaz
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Ok thanks again, sounds good I will just clean it up and start testing.

Can you explain what to do with the pad? If i have the boat up on stands that might be the best time to work on the pad. I will be doing some fiberglass work on the inside hopefully soon.

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

basically, all you do is take the pad, the last 6 feet, or even the last 4 feet, and simply fill it in so that it is 100% square. test the boat out first and gps it. then, don't make any other changes except the pad, and I guarantee you will pick up several mph, and the motor will turn up more. a lot of guys say that doing this ruins the boat, but it was actually designed this way originally. I was sold on it when talking to ron baker almost 15 years ago, and his son, jeff, and ron swore I would pick up 5-10 mph by doing this. since ron ran a viper at 81mph with a 135 Chrysler, I knew I should listen. he was right. the very first time I got the boat on plane it simply felt "looser" like it wasn't glued to the water any more, and I didn't have to trim as much. the hook (that started as a wedge) acts like a trim tab and the faster you go, the more pressure is pushed against the end of the pad, pushing the bow down. no doubt, you have to drive the boat more carefully when this is done because you are driving a true padded boat. It is harder to drive, because it's faster, and looser. kind of like a 427 corvette is easier to drive with a 6 cylinder in it, but, you get the point. I can send you pics of mine, and a guy with the handle "brabender" I think, did his too over on the hydrostream.org site years ago. it works great. also, fill all trailing edges and make them sharp. I can explain easier if yo uwant to talk. thanks 443 975 8469 thanks

Topic Author
schillaz
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Please post some pictures not only for me but others that may be interested in learning this technique.

thanks

steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I had a 1965 110 merc on the vector I had. I tried a 24 pitch chopper it wouldn't turn it well. I did run 52 mph on gps with it. I didn't play with the 110 for long. Found a 150 mounted to the transom. I think 2 1/2" up with a small hub laser2 26 pitch. Hit 70 mph no problem. If you look at Hydrostream history page in tech talk you can find that set up. I still have the 24 pitch chopper if you're interested. The 115 may turn it as stated.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post