Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Any one ever own a Hydrostream Vulture??

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
russelljwr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Any one ever own a Hydrostream Vulture??

I am looking at getting a Vulture and I wanted to know if you enjoyed the boat, or was it not a good ride? I was looking for bigger boat, and I have a chance to get one cheap. I know about there issue with the motor needing to be set back from the transom, and there issue with it creating a vacuum while moving. I am trying to decide if I should get a Vector instead. Thanks for your time.
Jesse

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Any one ever own a Hydrostream Vulture??

Hey Jesse! Welcome. Haven't ever owned one but would love to have one. In a nut shell, a lot of hp!!! They will fly. Much more usable boat than a vector. The vector would be cheaper to power though. It depends on what your going to do with it. Family boat or balls to the wall speed. The big hoop to get through is finding one thats already been recored and all that stuff. It's a big job to do. There's a few recores in the wip section of this forum if you haven't aready read them. Anyways, again welcome aboard.

Rick
:vking:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
russelljwr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks for the welcome Rick. I was looking for a boat that could haul, and my wife would not mind to lounge in. The boat comes with a 150 mercury. I figured I would enjoy it, I just like to hear from other people who have been on them. I right not own a 1977 Glastron GT-150. It is a great boat, I just want something faster and longer. Plus I love the style of a hydrostream. Thanks again for your input Rick.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I have no useful input, get both. I like the room of my vegas but my viper will be for all out speed. If I were to do it again I would've used a vector instead of my viper, I love the look of a vector. I must admit I didn't like the look of the vulture but for some reason I'm liking them more and more.

Oh ya welcome to the forums!
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Jesse, how is the hull on the one your looking at? You know the nitches with the core these things have. If your not into having a big project, find one that already been reworked. Didn't notice till today your from St. Johns. I've been buy there on my treks on 127. Where do you boat at?
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Jesse, welcome to the site. My name is Bill. I had a Vulture when I was 16 that I owned for 15 years. They are great boats. I am now restoring my second Vulture. The boat is a wonderful boat to drive and has plenty of room. It seats six comfortably and pulls skiers effortlessly. I am a good ways into the restore and hope to be on the water by early summer. Here is a link to my Vulture recore.

http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=373&start=0

Also, the vacuum issue was on some of the very first Vultures in 1977. Late that year they experimented with some aluminum rails on the back by the pad that solved the problem. Even with that issue, I used to just hit it hard on the start and roll to the right a bit and it would come up on the pad real easy. I agree with Viper, if you want a family style boat, get the Vulture. If you want to skip across the water like a rock, get a Vector or Viper. Personally, I likw the Vulture. Although, my next restore might be a shorter one. My first Vulture had a Rude 200 on it and it was good power. VNo2 has a Black Max 150, but I've yet to get it on the water so I don't know if it will be enough power yet. If not, I will get a bigger motor for the Vulture and save the 150 for a Vector/Viper in the future. Here is a photo of my Vulture when I bought it around Labor Day.

If you look in Boat Show you will see a picture of VNo1. Here is the link to that.

http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=402

I have to ask, is this the Vulture that was for sale in Chicago area cheep?

Oh yeah! POST SOME PICTURES !!!

The core job will be a lot of work, if needed, but take the time and get the boat right. You WILL love it. Don't hesitiate to ask any questions. I'll be glad to help if I can or someone else on this site will glad to. Bill

Topic Author
russelljwr
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks for all the input guy's. Yeah I live right in Saint Johns, almost on the corner of Old-27, and M-21. The hull looks in great shape. The interior looks like crap though. I am on the hunt for a windsheild and frame for it. I know that may be the hardest thing to do on this boat is find a windshield.I am already planning on gutting the floor and transom. I just replaced the transom on my glastron last year so I am not so affarid to do it again. That seacast product for transoms works great. I will post pictures of the boat when I get it home this friday. I am thinking of selling the motor and all the power trim stuff that came with the boat so I am upgrade my motor. Much as I like old stuff the 1974 inline 6 150hp motor makes me wounder if finding a newer motor or bigger motor would be the way to go for such a big boat. I do have a chance to get a 1994 mercury 200hp cheap. Overall everyones input made feel good that i was getting the right boat. Bad thing about boats that you most of the time cannot test drive it befor you buy it. Thanks again everyone!!

To brian- Yes this was the one for sale in Chicago.

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Enjoy the build. It's a fun journey if you like this stuff as much as me. Anything I can do to help, let me know. Bill

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are a few vulture owners on here and I have yet to get mine in the water but I love all the room and can't wait to get it wet. I have owned a vking way back in the day but this is my first vulture and so far like it more than the vking just cause of the extra room. I would still love another vector or vking though to add to the boat collection.

You can find my resto topic in my sig.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Jesse, let me know if you get it. I may know someone looking for a 150 inline. A 200 would go ok especially if the price is right! If you get it and have the floor out, check the core and stringers. I was shocked when I checked mine, mush.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post