Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

225 looper/ 20 inch shaft on viking

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

225 looper/ 20 inch shaft on viking

Anybody got this kind of setup? Not in the water yet, but I'm concerned about the extra weight. Have 7" setback and I'm going to start with a 28 raker. I had 28 Hooter on an 18ft Action Marine years ago (200 rude) and I was outrunning Merc's with same boat/ horse power. Tried chopper prop, but I really got better performance out of a through hub big ear. Ran it with the top of the lower unit barrel even with the pad and got all the hp to the water. I think people run too high, and forget where the top of their hp curve is. When you exceed it more rpm can mean less hp to the water. I've heard that Viking runs well with the shaft even with the pad, but I think I would have to run a lot of pitch to keep the rpm's in the hp curve. What do you guy's think?

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: 225 looper/ 20 inch shaft on viking

Welcome to the board. Sounds like your gonna have a very fast boat! 8-)

As far as your concern about weight, I think, in general, that if you add engine weight or set back, you will have to refind your sweet spot in motor height, and it will probably be higher.

Oh ya, got pics? :)

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Thanx for the feedback. I hope you're right about running higher, but I don't want problems getting on plane. I'm running the 6 degree negative trim wedges. Hoping that helps. A hydraulic jack would probably cure alot of evil. That's gonna have to be down the road. Pics coming soon and by the way, congrats for getting the site up again. There's alot of Streamers out there, so keep up the good work. Silkeysak out

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

hydrostream76
Regular
Regular

here's an answer to a question close to yours i found courtesy of http://www.hydrostream.org
in their "tech talk" section
i'd say if you want more power for planing for skiing, just put a 19 pitch aluminum on or something like that
if that's what you're worried about
the answer seems like a good starting point though

235 on a V-King

Hi Randy. I am going to be replacing the current 120 OMC Looper on my V-King with an 81 Johnson 235. It had been previously rigged with a Merc 200 so it already has dual steering, foot throttle, trim on the wheel. I know on heavier engines you have been warning against set back. What is a good all around set up for this combination? I have a 28P butterfly cut chopper left over from my Merc days and will start there, but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm not expecting to be "King of the Lake" with this, but am hoping for a reasonably safe 80mph ride.

Chris

Chris,

The 235 on the V-King will be a good ride. My reference to "heavier" motors refers to the new loop charged motors. You could run a 5" - 6" jackplate and put the prop shaft 1 1/4" below the pad to start. The 28 Chopper will be a good start and should run in excess of 80. You may have to drill some of the splines out in the prop hub to fit the OMC. All in all, I think you will like the rig.

Randy

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Might want to touch base with "Streamin101" over at S&F. I "believe" he is running a 235 on a V-King with about 6" setback and even with the pad. I do know that he ran my worked-over 27 SRX for a while and it worked great.

johnboy 88 vegas
The new guy
The new guy

hey there silky where u run the viking at? i usually put in at skidaway and go to one of the beaches every weekend wouldn't mind seein a classic stream doin a blowby one time

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

hey johnboy, sorry i didnt get back sooner but i didnt notice the post. still working out some ignition problems, but hope to be out soon. last summer i put in at butterbean(redneck riviera) and probably will when i get running this year. my brother is there alot in a classic red/ white 1973 formula. maybe you seen'm . what kinda boat you got? my phone is 912-604-5595. maybe we can knock one back sometime. later, silkeysak o i see you got a vegas, coool

johnboy 88 vegas
The new guy
The new guy

yep i think i seen the formula a few times and if ya need any help with your motor problems just let me know my number is 912-429-0172 hope to see ya around soon later,john

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post