Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

MY FIRST

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
wolfie
The new guy
The new guy

MY FIRST

Hi, Just got a Voyager,1984, with 89 200 yamaha. I'm an old guy wanting to have a little fun and not kill myself and maybe still use it to pull grand kids on a tube. Wanting some info and advice if possable. Now it has an alum. prop 21 pitch. Want a SS one and want to know what you guys think. I've read 3 blade better for beginner and 4 is better??? Has a powered jack plate that is not set back any. Also want driving advice. If you go solo do you need ballast weight on pass. side to be safe or not. One guy told me first time I take it out have someone in other seat? I'm a big guy 6'3 275lbs.
Any and all help appreceated. Thanks

coupe
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: MY FIRST

wolfie wrote:Hi, Just got a Voyager,1984, with 89 200 yamaha. I'm an old guy wanting to have a little fun and not kill myself and maybe still use it to pull grand kids on a tube. Wanting some info and advice if possable. Now it has an alum. prop 21 pitch. Want a SS one and want to know what you guys think. I've read 3 blade better for beginner and 4 is better??? Has a powered jack plate that is not set back any. Also want driving advice. If you go solo do you need ballast weight on pass. side to be safe or not. One guy told me first time I take it out have someone in other seat? I'm a big guy 6'3 275lbs.
Any and all help appreceated. Thanks
Welcome Wolfie. I think a 23 pitch 4 blade would make an excellent all-around prop. There may be better out there as I'm no expert. It'll snatch a skier, prob run 65+, and get good fuel economy. You dont have to have ballast for a high speed run, although the boat will be easier to handle. You really need an experienced pad-v driver with you to show you what to do. It takes time and practice, but you will get it. Just dont drive beyond your skills, or you may get wet!-Scott

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the forum, and the hydrostream madness.

I have no experience with a voyager but I think the bottom is similar to a vegas, so a 24 trophy should be a good all around prop.

Before getting all you can out of the boat make sure it's set up safely. You should have dual cable steering, solid motor mounts and a foot throttle. These will make it easier and safer to drive. Also I recommend everyone at lest check their core.

As for driving you will be fine by yourself without ballast. Run it up to 65 that's wen it's getting up on the pad and the chine walking will start. Once it starts back off a bit and then speed up, you will start to get comfortable with the feeling and learn what to expect. After you are comfortable with it you can start to control the chine walk be counter steering in quick movements opposite of the way the hull is leaning. Getting the hang of it will take time but be patient, once you get it you will be correcting it and not even know it.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
wolfie
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the welcome and advice. What's the best way to check the core? The guy I bought it off of said he did and it was good at that time which was about 3 years ago.
Dave

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post