Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Operation "Ski Me" is underway!

The place for all other general boating discussions.

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Operation "Ski Me" is underway!

so after an incredible search to find the perfect motor for my 19ft J the search is over. Found this consignment sale for a Doral 170 with a 150 merc xr6 on the back! Made the guy a deal and am now in the process of getting everything switched over. Motor checked out great except for the impeller was gone.. simple fix later under his penny and we're good to go! thought I would upload a couple pics of this motor... pics of the J to come soon! Poor thing has been in storage for near 9 years and is finally coming back out to play.

there is a prop on this boat right now. I believe it is a 23 pitch prop... what should I be looking for? Does it need to be changed to a stainless steel prop? Im mainly going to be using it as my ski boat but also a boat just for me to get around etc and have some fun... Any ideas bumping it up to a 4 blade etc?

thanks!

Patrick

Image Image

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Operation "Ski Me" is underway!

Dug through some old photos I found of the cottage and pulled out an oldie of the J at the cottage. Looks like we were out for a tube or something. Im the little whipper snapper climbing on the front dash haha Enjoy!

Image Image

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Great picture and I'm sure better memories.

I would think a 23 would be a little small but would sure pull a skier up quick. The J looks to be a fairly light boat so a three blade prop will probably be fine, the more blades you have will help holeshot but hurt top end. I have a 25 high five that came on my vegas that is a blast to play with but tops out in the mid 60's.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Where is your cottage? My family has a cottage on Jack Lake in Apsley.

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Awesome thanks viper!
My cottage is on Charleston Lake, just outside of athens... closer to the ottawa area lol. Jack lake is pretty much straight east from athens but still a 4.5 hour drive lol

Image Image

S P E E D
Regular
Regular

Holy **** Norton...what were you like 3 years old in that pic! haha Love that J-Craft man, Favorite color scheme right there...white with red stripes. Our 19 foot Pro Ski J's weighed in a Just over 850 pounds from Spaeth's lab back in the day. I had heard as much as 880 to 900. Minor changes throughout the years Added weight plus and minus depending on Short Deck or Long Deck models.

For top end guys Love Rakers on these boats, For a Ski prop I have heard the Shooters to be the prop to get out of the hole and keep some decent everyday use. As for Pitch I would think 23-26 would be the sweet spot for your 150...but when we get her out within the next couple weeks we will know more!

Sean's J's with 225 HO Johnsons on them have seen 85-87 MPH with 6 inch setback and a 28-30 Raker. That's movin' good for a J!! :boating:
1993 Hydrostream Vision aka Project "HydroSCREAM" SOLD
1979 J-Craft Pro Ski SOLD

Topic Author
pnorton
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

So after a long wait I finally got my '85 J-craft into the water with its new 150 merc XR6. I got a solid 6.6 gallon tank of fuel in before the motor decided it wasn't happy and threw 3 pistons and basically blew up. Boat is now back at marina and attempting to figure out problem with motor. But I managed to get a few pics of the boat. Enjoy!

Image Image

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Hey, sorry to hear that, thats too bad. What a great looking rig though. Hang in there, it will be worth the frustration (and $).

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Yes major bummer on the motor but agreat looking boat keep at it .

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post