Welcome to HydrostreamForums.com
If you're not registered, please consider doing so. It's easy - just click the "Register" link at the top
right corner of the page. Our forum needs members like you to contribute to the site in order to survive.
We are a community of boat lovers and Hydrostream enthusiasts here; we are happy to help anyone
who may need advice or guidance for their 'Stream; and we encourage members to offer their advice
and guidance to others as well. Thank you for visiting our forums, and please register.
We're better than Facebook.

Registering only takes a few minutes and you can do so by CLICKING HERE

If you are a member, don't forget to log in to take full advantage of the forum.

Question(s) for Ron aka alaskastreamin...

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
AdamDK

Question(s) for Ron aka alaskastreamin...

Post by AdamDK » Dec 02, 2017 12:18 pm

Hey Ron, can I pick your brain for a few questions?

I'm restoring a Viper and my plan for my build is going to be a Frankenstein of how you did yours and how proprider did his.
I'm fairly confident that doing the interior structure won't be an issue, however, my hull is pretty beat up on the outside too. In your rebuild articles on the Hydrostream.org site, you added cloth and cloth strips to the outside hull and strakes. My questions for you are in regards to that:

#1 - Did you simply coarse sand the gelcoat to allow for bonding of the new cloth, or did you grind/sand as much off as you could? I can't really tell as the pictures aren't that large, and the hull still looks fairly blue. I'd like to do the same for my boat, as most of the clearcoat is gone and the metalflake is flaking off the metal bits in places.

#2 - What kind of cloth did you use? I thought that I could probably get away with using regular stitchmat, but I want to know what you used.

Thanks!

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Question(s) for Ron aka alaskastreamin...

Post by alaskastreamin » Dec 03, 2017 12:32 am

Hi Adam

I had to support the outside of the hull because of the stress cracks in the factory layup especially at the lifting strakes.
I really needed the 2 layers in these areas.
I roughed up with 80 grit and used vinylesther resin. I used 6 oz cloth. I was able to use a bondo spreader to squeegee our the excess resin and keep it flat. Stitch mat is too thick and won’t roll over the lift strakes.

Did you see the .org registery article? If so click on the thumbnail picture and it goes full size.

Vinylesther or epoxy is ONLY WAY you will get cloth to stay adhered to ground glass.

Hope this helps.
Ron

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ron Pratt
Sitka, Alaska
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
http://www.prattcustoms.com

Topic Author
AdamDK

Re: Question(s) for Ron aka alaskastreamin...

Post by AdamDK » Dec 03, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks Ron.

Yes, I'll be using vinylester resin. Epoxy just isn't in my budget, and we pay through the nose for materials here in Canada. (1 gallon of VE resin is $70 - West 105 epoxy is even more at $130 a gallon)