Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

gel coat or auto paint

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

gel coat or auto paint

alright guys i need some help. brought the boat down to body shop yesterday and picked out and priced some paint. the cost is way more than expected :o ( of course i probably picked out the most expensive lol) like many on here, im trying to rebuild within a budget, got me thinking of other directions to go with painting the boat.

i would like some form of red metal flake. my plan was to use duretec finishing primer. (polyester if gel coat/vinylester if auto paint)

from briefly searching looks like gel is more afordable and from what ive heard easier to apply, with a lil more sanding and buffing to shine it up.

i feel comfortable with applying the auto paint but not sure about gel coat process.

any thoughts, opinions, facts, or info on applying gel coat would be greatly appreciated.
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

p man
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: gel coat or auto paint

I am no expert but I know the following:

When you said gel requires "a lil more sanding and buffing to shine it up" what you should have said was " a metric sh!t ton more sanding and buffing to shine up" lol

other then that Gel will hold up better in the water where as paint wil hold up better in the sun.
If the boat isn't going to sit in the water for weeks at a time I would have no issue with painting a boat.
My 2 cents

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

I recently prayed my Viper with white gel coat mixed 50/50 with the Duratec gel coat addative. I used a 2.2mm tip with a HVLP gun I purchased at Harbor Freight. This was my first real experience with spraying. It came out quite well. The Duratec additive thinned it down and allowed the gel to "flow." Any areas of orange peel was due to my inexperience. It took a little bit of work with wet sanding and buffing, but nothing like what it would take if it was straight gel (without the Duratec).

If I had to do it again I would use the same set-up, although I would put it on a bit thicker. I got a little thin in areas. I'll try to attach a picture.
Attachments
reduced.jpg
reduced.jpg (226.72 KiB) Viewed 7464 times

redneckcustoms13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

mine has been painted 1994 chevrolet cavalier blue since 2003 and lives out doors under a cover unless its in the water. the paint looks just as good now as it did a week after it was painted. Its nothing more than a PPG automotive grade paint with a good PPG clear. it has a few cracks in it now where the boat has flexed the bow covered area but they are very small and hardly noticeable if i do not point them out
78 vector, 2.4 200, 2-1 lower unit with bobs nose cone.

vincmm
The new guy
The new guy

did you use the PPG auto paint on the hull?
curious where the fles was occuring?

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will be using automotive paint on mine as it will not live in the water (Dont live on a lake) and to also keep cost down some. I am going to do the same a chet did and go with a flat/satin white on the bottom of the hull. Water doesnt like to stick to smooth surfaces as well as the smooth shiny finish. :up: and for the top just a good gloss white eventually. Maybe this spring if I plan everything right. Big maybe. lol
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

vincmm wrote:did you use the PPG auto paint on the hull?
curious where the fles was occuring?
Going w auto paint. Flex from what I've seen usually occurs around winshield on top of gunnels and around splashwell.( On viper/vking/vulture models)

Ground out all stress cracks, glassed where necessary, and covered w duretec vinylester primer. Hopefully they won't pop up again. I was told after the first layer of primer let sit out in sun for a day or 2 then sand and primer again. (Allow fiberglass and primer expand and set good.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

vincmm
The new guy
The new guy

Hippie459MN wrote:I will be using automotive paint on mine as it will not live in the water (Dont live on a lake) and to also keep cost down some. I am going to do the same a chet did and go with a flat/satin white on the bottom of the hull. Water doesnt like to stick to smooth surfaces as well as the smooth shiny finish. :up: and for the top just a good gloss white eventually. Maybe this spring if I plan everything right. Big maybe. lol
would the paint be affected if left in water for a week...like staying on vacation?......wouldn't think so just curious, becasue we don;t the boats out nightly

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I can't remember the time I was told with mine but it was less than a week something like 2-3 days max and I used a epoxy with Teflon in it used on racing sailboats. I have never had mine in the water for more than a few hours, heck most of the time I'm driving it it's out of the water LOL
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

bigboy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

jacklake2003 wrote:I recently prayed my Viper with white gel coat mixed 50/50 with the Duratec gel coat addative. I used a 2.2mm tip with a HVLP gun I purchased at Harbor Freight. This was my first real experience with spraying. It came out quite well. The Duratec additive thinned it down and allowed the gel to "flow." Any areas of orange peel was due to my inexperience. It took a little bit of work with wet sanding and buffing, but nothing like what it would take if it was straight gel (without the Duratec).

If I had to do it again I would use the same set-up, although I would put it on a bit thicker. I got a little thin in areas. I'll try to attach a picture.
How much did you use to regell the bottom?

I wonder is the layer you spray on as thick as the original layer or less thick?

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post