Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

looking for reference and ideas

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
vincmm
The new guy
The new guy

looking for reference and ideas

I don't own a Hydrostream but have been lurking around on the site at different models and reading posts.

Have been looking to take on a boat renovation, so as anyone else am looking for info.
I had been looking at GT150s love'em for ther styling and lines, but they are bit cramped and only rated for 90hp....been looking for something to handle more in the 150hp range ...which has brought me looking at the Viper.
Small, handle big HP and a design like no other..... any way ...

Wondering pros and cons anyone can give me...found one Viper, owner states that the floor needs replaced, transom is solid
Stated that they have been told that the core will most likely will need replaced and to do so when doing the floor.

Wanting to know what to look at on these boats to determine if its worth to purchase if i start hunting one down?

I always get asked why do you want one that needs work....??.... i say why not...i want to learn and am trying to get into the boating hobby bit deaper than shelling out $$ for a newer boat right now...my kids are 4&6 and well perhaps in another 5 yrs we can get the newer boat but right now its a bit hard to get out like we would like too...

thanks in advance...

PS:
My other choice of small and sleek is a Sidewinder SS

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: looking for reference and ideas

The Viper is a great boat that when set up right will handle bigger power very well. I am with you on the whole restoration thing. Not only does a Hydrostream have some great lines/styling, they are also some very fast hulls that handle great. Some better then other of course. And the cost of restoring one of these when doing it yourself, might seem to cost a lot in the end and you may have more into the boat then you could actually resell it for when its all done but just think of it this way, When I am done with mine (20' Vulture) I figure I will be close to the 5-6k range (Including the purchase price of the boat), maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less and that includes the motor. Now go buy a brand new 20 foot boat that will do 70+ (With the power I will be using) and look as good a stream for that price. Wont happen lol. And when you are done with it, it will be done better then it ever was out of the factory and last you another 25+ years or better.

I think the time and money to save these boats is so worth it but thats just me. :up:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

The vipers are great boats but I'm don't know if they are any bigger than a gt on the inside. They are rated for a 120HP but I have never been questioned about mine, but I work on the local county Sheriffs boats :up: A hydrostream will handle a lot better than a gt150 or ss and look a lot better too.

If the floor is shot I can almost guarantee the core is too. The more rotten the core is the easier it will be to remove so I look for the ones that look like crap, it also helps to get them cheaper. As for a price, I guess a hull will be worth more if the gel is in good shape. I have a viper that is in bad shape all the way around as in it needs everything and I can't get $600 for it.

If you have family that will be boating with you take a look at a vking for the extra room. They will handle a v6 a little better than a viper will. Whatever you choose take your time, do it right, and most of all be safe.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Yeah what they said... My decision was I wanted a junkyard boat I could do exactly what I wanted to it. My son is 2 and goal is to have it water ready when he's boat ready.
Agree what chet said vking is great boat for carrying load and high performance. Vulture being even more room.(Used to have one) water ways plays part too, I wouldn't mind having a yt or xt. Hull that takes choppy water better. (Maybe pick up one in future) my project has been a blast and very rewarding.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thats another thing, When you rebuild it yourself I think there is a lot more sense of accomplishment and plus, You can build it your way as with a new boat, You get what the build and then if you want it your way you have to just dump that much more into it.

I would agree, for a family I would lean towards a vking or or something of that size. Even a vegas or valero or something. They also move out nicely with a 150 and bigger power can be added later. My vulture will have more room then I will know what to do with as right now, Its only going to be my son and I. He just turned 2 last month and he can officially go in the boat (Promised his mom no boating till he was at least 2) so I am excited to get mine on the water.
-Kevin

1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen

Topic Author
vincmm
The new guy
The new guy

hey thanks guys...as far as being a family boat,..i guess something we could put on the water and take an afternoon cruise in...
i currently have an ArrowGlass Javelin 15' open bow, we fit good in it (for now)
Just a guy who likes to invision cool retro boats, and dreaming of a cool old boat.

the Viper...no motor..seats redone and has carpeting....

watching a 'Winder also around same money, carcked shield, missing padding, but has a non runner motor...

probably why I don;t have a projecy becuase I can't decide :banghead:

77viper if you were closer I'd probably come by and take look

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

vincmm wrote:77viper if you were closer I'd probably come by and take look
He has tons of pictures of it. It would make a great projects too. I have seen it personally.

Also, where are you located? I could possibly deliver it if its not to far (I drive truck for a living so too far for me is a really long ways. lol) or even meet part way. :up:

Someone buy this so he has VKing money. :lol:
-Kevin

1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen

• Random Topics
    Replies