Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

transom and recore??????

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: transom and recore??????

More leg room, yes! There was a fiberglass ridge and deck under the bow. I'm putting it back in and extending the floor some for more leg rm. For some reason the floor was stopped short about 10" short from where it would lay in the deck going under the bow. It does sound like all personal prefrence. like it was said these where built like crap from factory and held together so any improvement can't hurt.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: transom and recore??????

As far as stringer wood, I used Douglas Fir because it was recommended by Gerald Gangle (the boat builder). It's denser than Hem fir which most construction wood is. I added a 1 1/2 oz mat and woven roving in the hull before the stringers and core. This gave a good base for the stringers to lay on With a good radius on the top corners of the stringer and the bottom "fillet", adding proper fiberglass over the stringer and onto the hull will spread the "shear" line wayyyy out. Then, after the core is bedded in, another "fillet" radius is added where the core meets the stringer and glass over the core and over the stringer.
Since I knew where the bottom of the floor sat on each side, I was able to put a straight edge across and measure down to the pad. I had around 4". I knew a 2x4 was 3 1/2" so I needed 1/2" of glass. After the mat and roving overlapped in the pad and the stringer was test fit again, I re-measured and now was 1/4" below the floor line. When all done, I was level across.
Sorry for the rambling but if overlooked, you'll have a messed up floor.

I believe the air bladder top skin help hold the bow hull from spreading outward. Like the bottom cord of a roof truss. Imagine an up-side-down truss. Cut the bottom cord out and pull down on the tails.......You get the idea.

I put in several bulkheads and left the top open. My personal preference. :up:
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views