Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Metalflake??

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Metalflake??

So anyone ever do some repairs on the gel coat (stress cracks) paint area with new flake blending it into existing gelcoat and clear over the whole boat? Long question but, would like to fix and don't want to re do whole boat because 95% is good gel coat.
I've painted plenty of cars truck and jeeps, and blended some metallic on damaged areas of cars but not sure how it will work out with flake. I would ask my father who's been a car painter / autobody man his whole life. However not the best father son relationship. Plus I do t think he sprayed alot of flake, maybe a little back in the late 60's early 70's. But I still have to make the call.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Metalflake??

I don't know, but I'd like to! Since the flake is in the gel, which is thicker than paint (hence the depth) I can't see it being easy to blend in a repair. I mean, there must be a reason why so many of these boats get painted instead of restoring the gel...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Topic Author
steve3340
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

This is what I'm thinking. Grind out cracks, fill, sand prime, regular body work stuff. Sand whole boat say 400 that's how you would do a car . Then just like blending in a panel on a car. Spray base I think its suggested to use black in my case would be good, bruiser blue. Then start at stern that's what I want to repair and spray right up to gel flake. Then again but all they way to just cover gel flake lightly / blending in so color fades from old to new. Then clear the whole boat since there is no where to break/ end of panel. That's how I was taught on cars. I know people sand and clear streams. I would have to do some test runs with mix to make sure enough flake was added to look as close as what's there. I don't have stress crack all over just close to stern otherwise I wouldn't even be thinking about it if it was all over. I'm going to do some research and try to match flake first. If I just get answers of no I won't do it but if its I don't see why I'm going g for it! And will post picks.

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Best bet is to go to a marine repair place that has a guy there who has been at gel repairs for a very long time. Last gathering we had here there was a guy with more years experience than I've served on this planet, I wanted him to look at mine since it's all original gel and starting to be hard to look after. Long story short, my boat ended up on a trailer parked way down the road and I was taking rides for the rest of the weekend lol.... He didn't get a chance to look it over. Even if you have to pay the guy a few bucks for the inspection it's worth it to get his opinion. You see the commercials on tv, "why do we think if we can look it up on the Internet, we can do it?", so true! Nothing can substitute the opinion of a highly experienced person who can actually see the project to better understand it, and give you proper direction.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Bob Roseville MN
The new guy
The new guy

If its just the jell coat check to see how much of the flake is sticking out of the jell coat. If its rough the gell coat is thin. If its not to bad use a automotive clear coat.
Should bring back the shine.
If you repaint use a 3.0 metal flake buy the right gun or it will plug up right away. Lots of coats of clear 10 or more
Used to be a guy.. House of color.
I think the lil Daddy Roth flake in CA has what you need.

http://rothmetalflake.com/metal-flake/12-solid-flake.html#/size-standard_015/container_sizes-2oz/solid_flake-bad_azzz_blue_flake

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

There are some good youtube videos showing the process
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax