Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Vector rebuild help

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Vector rebuild help

I picked up an '83 vector yesterday. The core, stringers and transom have all been removed. Included with boat was all the balsa , epoxy resin and mat and cloth needed to do the repairs. What type and size of wood for the stringers?i have some regular mat and what looks like some bi axle cloth , I also have a bucket of chopped glass. Which type of glass goes where?Should I lay a layer of glass in the floor before I install the plywood wood for the floor?
Thanks

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Vector rebuild help

Stellix wrote:I picked up an '83 vector yesterday. The core, stringers and transom have all been removed. Included with boat was all the balsa , epoxy resin and mat and cloth needed to do the repairs. What type and size of wood for the stringers?i have some regular mat and what looks like some type of woven cloth , I also have a bucket of chopped glass. Which type of glass goes where?Should I lay a layer of glass in the floor before I install the Balsa for the core to add a little thickness to the hull?
Thanks

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome to the forum. After you have a few more posts, it will allow you to post some images. Make sure you post some. It is harder to visualize if you bought the boat with all the core removed already. There is a place in MN called Express Composites that can fully explain the process, but it's mat, balsa, more mat (To form a sandwich of glass and balsa, that water cannot get into. That is the structure and strength of the hull. It make for a strong and light combination. The stringers can be any thickness you want of marine plywood, again protected by a layer of glass. A lot of the guys just go with 1/4 inch, but I decided on a couple pressed together with resin. My boat is more for recreation instead of light for racing though. After all the structure is good, then the floor can be built over that as a separate layer. Anything you put in that is not covered in glass will eventually rot, but remember that the original layup, lasted 30 years. The materials and being careful will make it last forever when re-done. I suggest reading as many re-core threads on here as you can. Lots of the guys have done a great job of documenting their work, and all are more than happy to answer any questions.
Bill :chet:

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

sounds like you have a good start. a lot of the work has been done for you already. someone chose epoxy, which is a good resin. and they ordered fabric for you. huge bonus already. the core is also ordered for you. all of that is stuff that takes a lot of thought for someone planning a rebuild. So, you have to decide if you are comfortable with those materials, then go from there. post a couple more times and post some pics. I have also heard of people using balsa core for the stringers, and I am going to build mine that way. the idea is this, the balsa will provide a shape for the fiberglass, and the glass is what is there for strength. not the wood inside. most people use ply, but I am going to try something different. It is your boat, do research and do it how you want. that is how you will be happy :boating:

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

The only thing that worries me is the resin and supplies were purchased in 2012 and stored in a garage. They are unopened but I'm not sure if they will still be good. It would be a mess to mix it up and lay the glass and it never dry! They came from U.S. Composite in Florida. My old Varmint had flotation foam in the wings and this Vector doesn't . I did notice that some had air boxes along the sides and if that is what this one had they have been removed. Are they needed ?

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I called U.S. Composite to find out exactly what I have. It's #404 polyester resin, not Epoxy. I'm glad because I've work with polyester resins before so I'm a little more comfortable with that. Should the plywood for the floor extend all the way to the sides of the hull or should it only be in the flat area in the center ? Should both sides of the floor be coated in resin and only the topside in cloth or mat ? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I do it correctly .

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't use 2 year old polyester resin to do a core, it has a shelf life of a year at best. Fresh resin should be a nice pink-red color nut brown at all. I can't tell you what exactly happens as it gets old but I do know how hard it would be to remove if there is a problem.

I have used the csm under the balsa and 1708 over the top. If you take a look through some of the build threads you will get a good understanding on what the common practices are. Once you start I would post a thread and a lot of pictures, that way people can follow along and help out if needed. It also helps a great deal with keeping motivated.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I called US Composites and asked about the shelf life of the resin. They said as long as it was unopened and as long as its not chunky looking it should be fine. They told me just mix a test sample and make sure it cures. I did my Varmint about 20 years ago but only had to do the floor as the core was good. Is the black new style rub rail still available anywhere? What about windshields? My windshield doesn't look too bad but if I'm going all the way with this one I'd like everything new. I've already found two motors, a 1979 Merc 200 and a 1988 Merc 150, is the old 200 too heavy for the Vector? I can get it cheap!

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I picked up a nice 1994 Mercury 150 XRI for it today. Getting ready to start on the core soon. I'll take some pictures as I go .

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

got any pics yet?

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post