Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Floor and stringer question

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Floor and stringer question

I'm getting ready to replace the core, stringers , floor and transom in my 1983 Vector. It was already removed when I got the boat. Does the floor sit on top of the stringers or is there supposed to be a space between them? Should the floor extend all the way out to the sides of the hull? I'm also trying to figure out the stringer to transom, should the stringers go all the way back against the transom? Thanks in advance

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: Floor and stringer question

Welcome and here's a link that will benefit you. It's YDOC's bulletproof rebuild. :up:

http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=909&start=60

Yes, transom knees (braces) are very desirable, although not factory.

The floor will attach to the stringers, and on a boat like a Vector the height of the stringers will determine the size of the floor. :thinking:

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks. So I guess a little taller stringer will make the floor wider, should the floor go all the way to the sides of the hull? If so should it be glassed to the sides of the hull or just tapered into the bottom? I'm also trying to figure out how to build the bilge area where the drain plug hole is.If I make the stringers go all the way to the transom how will water that gets under floor drain out? Or should water even be able to get under the floor ?

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

As I understand. the Hydrostream factory changed the floor height. Taller stringers gave the most flat floor space, lower stringers made the floor attach to the inside of the v-bottom.(lower center of gravity).
btw It's a good idea to plan you fuel cell placement before you make the stringers. :up:

Anyway, make holes in the rear of the stringer if necessary. You definitely want all the water to be able get out.

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

there should be a strake that is open on the inside of the hull. the rest should be filled in and glassed over. the empty strake is where the floor goes. so run a level across from strake to strake, and measure up to it for a stringer height. Im doing a stringer on core hull with no floor, so I will add stringers in the strakes that the floor used to be in. hope that is how yours is built also

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

aaron78viper wrote:there should be a strake that is open on the inside of the hull. the rest should be filled in and glassed over. the empty strake is where the floor goes. so run a level across from strake to strake, and measure up to it for a stringer height.
what he said....the knotch in the hull on inside is called the floor register. this is where the outer edges of the floor rest. measure stringer height like aaron said and itll make stringers "touch" floors for their full length.

the stingers wont be same height all the way down. others like chet made a jig to run a router down length of stringer to get height right.

older streams had the lower floor register ........later on they raised the register making flat floor space larger..........but then you sit higher in boat. i like to be low :hydros: just a thought....
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

What thickness marine plywood should I use for the floor?

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

i used 1/2" glassing bottom and top sides. you could use 1/4" long as you glassed bottom and top....would be strong as hell after glassin. all depends on how weight sensative you are trying to be.

every where i bolted or screwed something down (i.e. seats, foot pedal, gas tank, battery, etc.) i glassed in 3/4" thick strips of ply to used as mounting surface. this way NOTHING is screwed into or through floor giving potential for rot. if my strips rot.....i just pulled em up and reglass new ones in.

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS

Topic Author
Stellix
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Great info , thanks for all the help guys. I'm sure I'll have more questions later, hope y'all dont mind helping me out !

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

grab a beer and a lab top and go to the "restoration" section and read read read read........tons of info and answers.

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post