Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Is this a good thing?

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
bj71chevelle
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Is this a good thing?

I'm new to the Hydrostream Forum and Hydrostream boats in general. What an awesome resource this is! I have loved Hydrostreams since I was a teenager and have always wanted one. I am interested in purchasing a 1985 Vulture, but I'm concerned about some "aluminum work" that has been done to the transom area. I have never seen this before and I was hoping someone could explain what it is and whether or not it's a good thing to have on such a boat or a sign of more serious problems. I would appreciate any and all feedback and opinions regarding this particular boat. Thank you.

[URL=http://s996.photobucket.com/user/bj71chevelle/media/Hydrostream%202.jpg.html][img]http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/bj71chevelle/Hydrostream%202.jpg[/img][/url]

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Is this a good thing?

Boat's a wreck, would need a full resto. The aluminum is a desperate attempt to stop the transom from flexing. Nice looking fab job but a sound hull needs none of that.

Welcome to the board, I'm Pete and I know everything.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
bj71chevelle
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Is this a good thing?

Thanks Pete. I was somewhat sceptical about the condition of the transom as well. Would you recommend I forget this boat and move on or would it make a good restoration candidate? I guess I'm wondering if it is worth saving????

[ Post made via Android ] Image

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Is this a good thing?

I've seen worse than that brought back, it's a tremendous amount of work and expense. Could take years unless you have tons of spare time. On average, I would say less than 20% of projects that size ever get completed. Biggest problem you'll have there is with the rub rail, that stuff is near impossible to find, so getting it back to original is a real headache, if not impossible.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
bj71chevelle
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Is this a good thing?

Too late to worry about it. I purchased the boat. The restoration process will hopefully begin soon.
Deal done, bringing it home.

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Is this a good thing?

:up:

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Is this a good thing?

Welcome to the forum. Pete knows way more than I do, but I restored a Vulture. Look for my restoration thread in WIP. It was a lot of work, but I got through it. Love my Vulture. It will need plenty of power and a jackplate to get it to fly right. I had so much fun on the Vulture, I am currently working on a full restore of a Viking and a Ventura II at the same time. Don't even question about taking short cuts. Do the transom, core, stringers, floor, interior, steering... etc... Every time I get in mine, I know it's safe because I did it all. :popcorn: :popcorn:

http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=373

Enjoy the read

Topic Author
bj71chevelle
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Is this a good thing?

Thanks so much "VultureNo2". I have read your thread at least 10 times. It is very informative. I absolutely love the way your boat turned out and it has inspired me to see my project through to the end. Mine is a 1985 and the seats don't seem as nice as your's. I assume the 77 Vulture's came with "high back" seats where as mine are quite low. I would prefer your style seats when the time comes. Would you be willing to share the dimensions if you have them? As far as my "restoration" is concerned, I will be posting info and photos on the Restoration page under the title "New to Me Vulture". Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is this a good thing?

bj71chevelle wrote:I assume the 77 Vulture's came with "high back" seats where as mine are quite low. I would prefer your style seats when the time comes. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
The 1977 to 1979 Vultures originally came with back to backs then in 1980 and newer they had single buckets. Personally, I dont like the back to back seats. I like the buckets simply due to having much more side support as where with a back to back, you have none what so ever. I will be putting single buckets in my 1977 when that time comes. And also, Bill built and upholstered his seats in his garage and they turned out dang nice too for a guy that didnt know what he was doing.

A lot of this stuff, we had no idea what we were doing going into these projects so if we can do it, anyone can. :up:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Is this a good thing?

Hippie is right. I fabricated the Back to Backs from the few remaining pieces that came with the boat. Somewhere in my notes I have the dimensions. I'll have to do some digging to find them. Thanks for the nice comments on the Vulture. Today I'm itching from fiberglass. Working on the transom of the Viking sitting in my garage, begging me to complete it. One of these days I'll learn to sand with long sleeves on. :oops: I like the back to backs better. I have the original back to backs for my Viking. They are going back in. they are in like new condition.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post