Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

where exactly should i drill Virage sponson drain plug holes??

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
Igotmyvirage
The new guy
The new guy

Hi everyone, finally signed up here after reading tons of threads ad articles and checking out pictures for when I finally found my dream boat, the Hydrostream Virage....
Well I FINALLY found one that I was able to pull off financially and drove from Friday right after work 1100miles got there sat around noon'ish, checked the boat and motor over and made a deal-- then had to change out trlr tires and grease bearings etc for the 1100miles back....48hrs almost to the minute we were pulling in our yard, thank God cause that was a lot of driving for sure in such a short time!

Anyways, I want to install drain plugs in the outer sponsons and take one of my long(maybe 2ft'ish long) drill bits and drill into any foam I find. This is just for the time being as I plan on gutting all foam and redoing the hull's structure this winter but I figure since ill be putting drains in anyways I might as well pop them in now and see if anything comes out and get an idea of how wet this thing is and maybe see if possibly its been redone already or at least the foam removed..

They are garland plugs with a flange quite a bit bigger then the brass plugs themselves so I was thinking of keeping the flange just inside the inner sponson edge and just above the bottom of thud sponson edge-- since there supposedly isn't core in the sponsons anyways im thinking the actual hole will be about half inch up and in from edges. ..
Does that sound about right? My plan is to probably do what Ron did with his "last" Virage and lay 1/4" balsa in sponsons with a cple bulkheads for good measure and to keep stuff from sliding back to transom end too but im not set in stone what ill actually wind up doing. ....

Anyways, Any input on if my placement of the sponson drain plugs sounds ok would be great!
Thank you in advance for your knowledge and input! - Shawn

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Topic Author
Igotmyvirage
The new guy
The new guy

Oh, and forgot to mention its a '91 stage 1 hull....so it's not the knife edge sponsons of the stage 2/3 hulls and there's plenty of room for the drain plug housings...

I can't wait to get this thing lightened up as much as possible and of course made solid too but hopefully at least ill have something to run a bit this summer that's MUCH more family friendly then the vector copy ive got that's set up center steer and definitely not what my 17month old daughter and wife want anything to do with!!

Ok, sorry for the book- im going to drill the drain plug holes and get them installed ASAP so I can finish the little things and go for a ride finally- - in the boat ive dreamed of having for probably 10yrs now!

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Welcome to the Virage family!!
I used jet ski drain plugs.
Much smaller and work awesome..

If you think you will core the sponsons, you might want to hold them up an extra bit.

I got my plugs off eBay.

Post some pictures.
I can't believe they would make a 91 without the inserts unless it was a special order.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
Viper/ 2.5L 200 Merc (SOLD)
1991 "the last" Virage/ 15" 280
2003 9’ Mini Virage/ 15 hp Honda 4-stroke
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc
http://www.prattcustoms.com

Topic Author
Igotmyvirage
The new guy
The new guy

Thanks for the input Ron!
Ill try to get pics up after work late tonight..
Soo, I went over the hull bottom again in better light and found a hairline crack on the left vertical edge that goes down to the center pad--- so I ripped the floor out and found an old shoddy repair, and also NO CORE IN THE PAD!! At least the back 6ft anyways its just solid glass!!??
So, I've got a few sheets of 1/2" balsa and some 12" 1708 animal and fillers for the resin etc..
Im thinking of grinding to good clean glass, laying mat then 2 rush of 1708 12" overlapping an inch or so in the center of the pad, then maybe 1 or 2 more layers of mat --- also thinking maybe laying the balsa on that OR maybe making stringers for each side of the center pad..
Not sure at this point but between doing a huge fiberglass repair to my family's pool and then running over to grind more on the inside of the Virages center pad to get it ready to at least lay up the mat and 1708 im keeping busy! !
Just gotta figure the best way to do the center pad so its rock solid! !
Any input would be appreciated greatly!!-
And ill try my best to post pics late tonight when I get off work (2nd shift sucks!!)...

Oh, and I didn't get a notice you had replied to my thread or i would have replied right away! !
Thank you again and in advance for any more guidance too!! -- Shawn

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I wouldn't waste your time adding stringers.
This hull shape is very stiff just in its design.

the ski locker frame acts like a stringer also

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc

aaronhl
The new guy
The new guy

Re: where exactly should i drill Virage sponson drain plug holes??

I bought some chrome plugs on ebay for my Virage hope they are ok

alaskastreamin
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Like these???
drain plug.jpg
drain plug.jpg (23.23 KiB) Viewed 4486 times
Ron Pratt
Okanogan, WA
1989 Voyager/ 300 Promax
1989 HST / 2.5L 200 Merc

aaronhl
The new guy
The new guy

Similar, these are the ones I got all metal

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post