Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Core replacement questions. Two boats.

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
87GeorgiaValero
The new guy
The new guy

Core replacement questions. Two boats.

Hey guys new to this site. I currently own an 87 Valero that I found in Georgia. Bought it off the original owner which was about 80 years old believe it or not. Has a 175 blackmax the boat is so clean you can eat off of it. He said he ran it maybe a total of 8 times ever. It was garage kept its 100 percent original. Original trailer with original tires I have all the paperwork from the dealership down to the deposit slips. Warranty slips on boat motor trailer all that crazy stuff. I have the original center windshield as well. Seats carpet gel are perfect not a single crack anywhere. she really is a time capsule and literally looks like the day she did when she was built the leather is still soft in the interior. I've ran her all last summer boat takes on zero water ever. My question is the core. Everyone seems to have a problem, but being such a rare find with no time on her at all do you think it's even an issue to consider? The boat never sat in the water and he said it had under 60 hours on it total.... now off to my next question my buddy has an 84 vector we are going to do the core on before it's painted. Never done one before any tips or pointers would help out a lot were hanging a 150 black max on it with a jackplate and hydraulic steering

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Attachments
IMG_2001.PNG
IMG_2001.PNG (2.99 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_1998.PNG
IMG_1998.PNG (2.62 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_1997.PNG
IMG_1997.PNG (2.4 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_1996.PNG
IMG_1996.PNG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_1993.PNG
IMG_1993.PNG (2.27 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_9791.JPG
IMG_9791.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_9684.JPG
IMG_9684.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_9680.JPG
IMG_9680.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_9648.JPG
IMG_9648.JPG (96.98 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_9646.JPG
IMG_9646.JPG (95.56 KiB) Viewed 3100 times
IMG_9645.JPG
IMG_9645.JPG (88.64 KiB) Viewed 3100 times

AdamDK

Re: Core replacement questions. Two boats.

87GeorgiaValero wrote: Jan 13, 2018 12:12 pm .....takes on zero water ever. My question is the core. Everyone seems to have a problem, but being such a rare find with no time on her at all do you think it's even an issue to consider? The boat never sat in the water and he said it had under 60 hours on it total....
Water can saturate the core from above the waterline. There are numerous stories of people finding boats that have been garage stored its entire life and still have wet cores. The easiest way to find out is to cut a hole in the glass where the bilge pump would be, down where you have the plug in the pad area below the transom. Take a 1.5-2" hole saw and cut off the glass - at most a 1/4" deep, no more. If you find nice dry balsa, you're good to go, and just need a fiberglass patch repair kit to fix. If you find dark, wet balsa, then you have some work to do. And by "some", I mean a lot.

now off to my next question my buddy has an 84 vector we are going to do the core on before it's painted. Never done one before any tips or pointers would help out a lot were hanging a 150 black max on it with a jackplate and hydraulic steering
There's a lots of threads here on core replacement. Check out the Restorations, WIP, Makeovers section.
It's not hard work per se, just dirty, dusty, itchy. And by "dusty, itchy", I mean very dusty and itchy.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post