Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Stringer placement

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: Stringer placement

Yes and no. I guess it depends how the boats engineered.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Sonik
Regular
Regular

Unlike Chet's,

My viper had, and still has the stringers bedded to the skin and core laid between and around them. The stringers were bedded in tall then routered down using a homemade jig (slides in the strakes) to ensure the floor section could be bonded to the tops of the stringers. I have seen Vipers both ways and I can only assume that they began laying stringer on top of the core in the newer boats (mine is a '76). The big argument here is that by bedding the stringers to the skin and laying core between you essentially create a sheer line at the right angle where the core meets the stringers. There are fans of both build types, both with, what I feel, to be solid reasoning but mine went back together they way it was originally constructed....only much much better.

The key here is having a solid base to work with.....either of the two ways obviously work. My boat was laid up so dry on the starboard side that once the core was removed and it sat under cover with a dehumidifier for a few days, you could peel the skin off by hand...waa-laa!!! potato chips!! The entire bottom got beefed up with a layer of cloth before the new core went in. Either way, my first trip out work me up to what a true dry/solid hull should sound like. :up:

Jeff

EDIT: Old thread....oops...

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

tpwolff
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

actually the way it was explained to me by a boat engineer was this.......the core material is there to spread impact over the surface of the hull......putting a stringer on the hull creates a shear line.....the impact stops at this line and creates a spot for the impact to stop......thus...a week spot......this is why the stringers should be placed OVER the core. There is no line for impact or stress to stop and it's distributed overa larger area......if the core becomes unatatched to the hull you have a week spot anyway and the stringers would not make a differance anyway. The stringers are there for strenth....the core is there to distrubute stress.....as both of these things add some to the other engineers look at them as seperate entities.....what carries over is a plus but really not a factor......so I'm told.....keep in mind I'm not an engineer but this does make the most sense to me.....at high speed I would want the force working against me spread out over as large an area as I can get not confined by a sheer line in the hull.....keep in mind in the water there would be two sheer lines,one on each side of the stringer.....two stringers,four sheer lines so on and so on

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Build it the same way it was orginally.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

upper decker
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

:agree: :agree: :wave:
Hippie459MN wrote: :agree: :agree:

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

77viper wrote:My stringers were and are over the core on my viper.
Did anyone notice this is different? Viper, is this right?

I would almost think it would be better to put the stringers over the core (like Viper 77). If the stringers were attached directly to the hull, the load would be transfered from the bottom of the hull to the stringers. In this case, the core material wouldn't affect the overall strength or aid in absorbing the impact. On the other hand, if the stringers were bonded to the core, the load would be distributed over a larger surface area resulting in less (lower) pressure points.

This being said, we're not exactly talking about the Space Shuttle here or the B2 Bomber. Meaning, the engineering tolerances are far from tight on a small boat like this and they are more than likely over-engineered either way.
Thoughts?
-Chris

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Thinking about it a little more..... I would imagine that in a boat like a Viper , the pad area is strong enough with or without the core. I would think the core material is mainly to add strenght to the area of the hull between the stringers and the side of the boat. In that case, the stringers would work the same either way. Right?

RussF
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

Image did someone say stringers

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is that your boat? You could hang 2 V8s off that thing. LOL

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

YDOC462
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

i dont have any engineering input on stringers on top of core or direct to hull.

i bonded stringers straight to hull as it was originally and in the process of coring and glassing i DO know it would be easier glassing the core in the bow (climbing in and out) without the stringers in the way. especially those who are coring a viper/vector with the core running way up in the bow. just my opinion
81 vector....complete restore....1991 7 pedal 200 slightly modded
ALWAYS under construction

HYDROSTREAM HELLIONS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHE8wWZsFpw

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post