Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

ae21 jackplate and setback

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
XcellR8
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

ae21 jackplate and setback

not exactly sure what to get here guys, im in the process of removing my ol' gt200 and putting on my new to me 225 vmax hpdi...the current jackplate i have on it now crapped out last fall on the middle setting and not sure why...when i press up or down it justs has like a free spinning sound coming from jackplate.... cant find any info on it...it says on sides "Power hi-jacker".....so lookin at bobs 8 inch set back hydraulic jackplate... some people say more setback but with the motor being a 3.3 adds a lil more weight too ...will it be a pain too remove that old jackplate ....and would bobs jackplate mount in the same holes?? ..sorry for the long text and thanks for the help

..........matt

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ae21 jackplate and setback

I would say go with at least a 10" or maybe even 12" on that AE. Thats what most guys a re running on them and they seem to work really good.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
XcellR8
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

true enough budd and while im putting new throttle cables on now i guess is the time to do it, heard some say 8 is perfect,but i guess it matters too how heavy the boat is....lightened..etc.....cant wait for summer.

damnskippy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

All of your jackplates, motors and such since like 1983 share the same bolt pattern, (BIA), Skip

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

There's a couple ae-21 on fast boats Canada who are running big setback, apparently these hulls like it. That and big power lol....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Topic Author
XcellR8
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

glad to hear they share the same bolt pattern wasnt sure about that thanks skip...i will be picking up my new to me 225 hpdi vmax motor next weekend :D cant wait!...had ordered a detwiler jackplate from a site and got a phone call a couple days later saying they no longer carry them....but have great cmc jackplates for sale....which have been told wont fit inbetween my sponsons so i declined and received a refund..anyone know by chance any other brands that will fit....looking for an 8 inch........,,ice is gone :boating:

matt

damnskippy
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Check out Vance Engineering, I'm not certain they will have exactly what you are needing, but they are great to work with, I just purchased a manual jack plate for my Vector from them, the quality is second to none, Skip

beavertonae-21
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

the cmc will work you just need to trim you sponsons lol, if it were me , i would go with a bobs machine setback plate in front of the hydrallic plate for a total of 10 to 12" setback, I run 14" with my 2.6 excell and its perfect, handles great and pops the hull great, you dont need to trim down to take off from a standstill either. I'm looking at a 3.3 yammi next year and will probably just remove the 2" spacers between the setback and jackplate so I have 12", I heard the same things as you, but I can finally tell you first hand these hulls like setback, trim to the moon and pop the hull and trim down and you are gone. I have also learned it takes BIG power I think to get them over mid eighties, I am running as high as 1.5" above the pad with 14" setback btw. I am running a 15 1/8" solas scorpion and it works well all around 85 is the most speed I have seen so far.

Steve

beavertonae-21
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

i ran yesterday, 12" setback 1" above with a 14.5" 28p mazco re4 87mph at 6600 rpm. best speed to date with my ae. still want to try a 14.5" 30p cleaver.

Steve

beavertonae-21
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

2014 steup moved the front seats back 8" new transome , 14" setback with a merc 30p lighning et 1" above the pad at 6900 for 90 mph FINALLY LOL . very happy with the current setup, it planes and handles well. I think there is still a few mph left in this combination too.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post