Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1980 Hydrostream Vector

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: 1980 Hydrostream Vector

If you are redoing the core it doesn't look like you are there yet. It should look something like this.
This is the core under the floor. As you can see it's all rotten.
There is core under the stringers too. After the core is out it should look like this.

If you don't plan on redoing the core I would at least drill some 1/8" holes in the fiberglass in the pad area and some other places to check the core. If it's ok then you can just glass over the holes. I'm not a expert by any means but I would bet the core is wet if not rotted.

Looks good so far :up:
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Welcome. It looks like you have a real nice platform to work with. Even the gel looks good in the pics. :up:

You asked earlier, how fast with a 115hp. Not fast enough. :pound: Sorry about that, how does 60mph sound? That's my estimate with a 23 in prop, engine bolted the transom. Here's an interesting link for you...hope it works. On the left, click the "Magizine Perf Reports", then find the Vector article. :D

http://www.hydrostream.org/Literature/Literature.htm

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I agree with Chet, looks like you got some more itch to go. Kinda looks like someone did something prior to you. Don't look anything like my v king. I know I wouldn't go as far as you did without knowing the shape of the core, stringers and transom Below it what mine looked like.

Above is before I cut the laminant off.

This was the core exposed.

This is what they look like without the core and stringers Check out my recore thread
I always wanted a vector. A 115 will get ya around but, yea 150 + will make it more fun :up:
Surface Scratcher, the link wont work with IE need mozilla firefox browser to read those.

welcome, Rick. :vking:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
micro48
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

OK.please dont laugh,What is the core? all i'm seeing under the floor is some foam board about 2in thick,The stringer in the middle is just a formed thin channel of fiberglass mat.Under the foam board looks like fiberglass hull.

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

Good morning again Herbie, What looks like the hull skin under the floor is a layer of glass covering 1/2 inch balsa to protect it from water. unless this boat has been kept in a garage and no water has had a chance to get to the balsa it is most likely gonna have rot somewhere. Take notice that the only place you see the strake indentions are at where the floor was glassed down. ( what you see under the floor is a flat surface) You will be very lucky if it is solid. If you would like I could run your way in a few days and help check it out .

push on the bottom all over real hard and see if it flexes any, then knok on it all over and listen to hear if it sounds hollow anywhere.

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

I couldn't find you on S & F , in what section did you post it.

Topic Author
micro48
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I didn't post any thing on S&F . I,m gonna get it off the trailer today get it blocked up real good.still trying to figure best way to support hull so I don,t distort it.I,m guessing i,m going to have to make some kind of jig.

mrconcrete
The new guy
The new guy

Like the other guys said..99% of the time the core is rotton, mine had the same fiberglass "box" over the pad as yours..here is a cleaned up vector ready for recoreing...Image

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

So vectors do have boxed in stringers? Mine was boxed about half way up but that was someone elses band aid.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

kytekeith
Regular
Regular

ccrick wrote:So vectors do have boxed in stringers? Mine was boxed about half way up but that was someone elses band aid.

It depends on the year, my 76 had 1/2 inch plywood as stringers, no top plate. They were glassed in and the floor sat on top.

.sometime between 75 and 80 they raised the floor level up to the next strake and maybe then the stringers were boxed.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post