Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

v-king yt- handling and speeds??

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
v-kingyt
The new guy
The new guy

v-king yt- handling and speeds??

hi everyone, i am in the process of buying a very nice 1988 v-king yt.. it has a 150hp merc with a 5 1/2in cmc hydrualic jackplate, a cle lower and a 26pitch chopper on it.

i have a couple merc powerheads and ill most likely be putting one of mine on it very soon as the powerheads i have are a LOT more HP then whats on it right now(i have a 2.5 steel sleeve fishing motor block that im building and it will have the drag motor port specs before its finished, and i also have a 260hp efi block with bridgeport sleeves installed in it that im building as well)...

like any fast boat i own or have owned, im going to take my time getting to know the boat before taking it too far- the other boat i still own is a mid '90's STV pro comp. the stv is one of the easiest boats to drive that ive ever driven! im hoping to get some seat time in the v-king next weekend so i can get a feel for how it runs..

on my old vector, i ran a 2.5 steel sleeve that had the drag motor porting done to it and it was very quick, i ran my 26" yami drag copy on it..

---------- what im wondering is if anyone here owns or has owned a v-king yt(or valero yt), how do these boats handle? what kind of speeds did you see and with what for power and what props??

---------- thank you for any insight you can give me as to how the v-king yt's handle, any quircks etc! im soo excited to finally have a v-king as these have been one of my favorite hulls since i was a kid!! oh, and if ya have any pics id love to see them!! thank you very much-- v-kingyt

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: v-king yt- handling and speeds??

Congratulations on your new baby! :D

I don't own a yt but I've heard that they handle great...more stable than a pad Vector because of the sponsons. Right?

For set up info you might go to http://www.hydrostream.org/TechTalk/TechTalk.htm , and on here Kartracer has a nice Valero.

It sounds like you are gonna build a great lake rocket. :up:

Keep us informed :)

Topic Author
v-kingyt
The new guy
The new guy

thank you-- im like a kid in a candy store- n, NO, make that a kid that just left the candy store and is walking into toys-r-us!
its been almost a year since ive been on the water, the longest time in many years now... i really got spoiled having the stv- hitting a boat wake, at an angle no less, at 90+mph and not even blinking an eyeis probably the most fun ive ever had driving anything-- i really hope these yt's handle even close to that and with some good HP on it it autta pin me to the seat like the stv too!

it has a 26" chopper on it now and ill definately try it out but i have a feeling that my 26" yami drag copy will run even better with a light load..

--- ive heard ET's do well on these boats, anyone tried one on any of the YT hulls? ok, thanks for the tips-- v-kingyt

Vegas XT
Regular
Regular

I LOVE those YTs! They are very stable. When I decide to by my V-King I am going with a YT. Good luck with it man.

king gill
Regular
Regular

Yt definitly looks mean :up: I had a Viking pad with a bridgeport,my neighbor had a yt with a 225 promax...we both ran low 90's all day any day...with more setup maybe we could of got more...But I was just a poor white boy and Happy with 90 or a little over....I feel the pad is a little more forgiving...when my Viking would blow out it would just lay down nicely...I only got close to blowing it over a couple of times..and that was usually because of a gust of crosswind up river caught me by suprise or a little no fear :oops: /or I was Bitchin at the wife to SHUT UP AND HANG ON!!!!
The YT sometimes would totally kick my Buddies *** when one of the sponsins would catch a wave wrong,damn near throw him from the Boat.....But we did drive these poor old streams like Motorcross bikes...we were really hard on them.....To the floor and trim it...NOW!!!! so if ya get some seat time...watch the chop and Its a piece of cake ;) REMEMBER run it Flat once your haulin ASSl!!!!!!!!!! :up:

Kartracer
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I've got a Valero YT with a slightly worked Bridgeport w/sportsmaster. I am still getting the hang of it, but the previous owner had 93 (GPS). Mine has a manual jackplate with 10" of setback with a 15" mid. The only props I have are a 24" Mazco chopper and a 27" Mazco cut to an ET. The lowest my engine will go is .5" above the pad. I normally run it there with the 24", and it handles quite nice and predictable.

The 27" ET needs more height and doesn't carry the bow as well. For top speed with that prop, the previous owner ran it at 1.75" above the pad. It is only good for one person that way, otherwise it won't carry the bow. Trust me, I tried it. At .5" above, it chine walks alot with just one person. I want to try an 80# person for a passenger, as I think it would be perfect. I ran that prop the last couple days, but it has been rough, so I haven't had much of a chance to really see what it can do. I really think it needs more height.

The boat handles whitecaps on this inland lake quite well, much better than it handles ballast boat wakes. I was quite surprised at how well it did. You can get it to ride across the top quite well if you play with it. I managed 82 on the GPS with it the other day with slight chop. That was running the 24" prop, and it was still pulling.
86 Valero YT Bridgeport

Topic Author
v-kingyt
The new guy
The new guy

thanks everyone for all of your tips and experiences.. i know i got a little spoiled driving tha stv! i remember coming up on some huge boat wakes, at an angle, running over 90mph and letting off for a split second like oh sh!t, and realizing that that would only make it worse so i just nailed it and that thing would just nip the tops the of the waves like nothing! the only thing i really had to be careful of, was making sure not to stuff it on any of the big wakes-- but i wasnt going too fast to keep the nose up high....

yeah, i cant wait to start learning to fly this stream! even with the "lil" 150hp on it for the 1st couple of weeks till i get a chance to finish building my other powerheads.
im hoping to leave to pick it up either tomorrow(thursday) evening or else friday-- im definately going to have to drop it in the water somewhere if i see a lake or river on the way home!! its like 1700miles each way so this will be by far the longest road trip for a boat so far!!!

thanks again everyone for the tips and info, very much appreciated!! i have a feeling that my 26" drag copy is going to be my favorite prop to run-- i love the pin ya to the seat acceleration and still have a pretty big top end too!! ok, well im almost there-- only another 24hrs or so and then like 20hr drive to pick it up!!! wooo-hooo!!

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post