Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Low water pickup

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Low water pickup

My low water pickup won't draw water ffrom the cone muff. I've trimmed it for a better fit, but still have the problem. Right now, to flush it I have to remove the telltale fitting, and screw the waterhose into it. Then I get 15-20 lbs. of pressure on the hose. Anybody else have this problem?

Sonik
Regular
Regular

Re: Low water pickup

Mine is a little picky when running on the hose as well and shows lower water pressure when run off the cone attachment, which is why I now just dunk the whole gearcase in a big tub and fill to around water pump housing level and all is well. I would ensure that all of your connections are in tact and that the impeller and housing are in good shape as well.

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I do the same as Jeff, dunk the whole thing in a old cooler.

If you try and run the motor with the water going in through your tell tale it will burn up your impeller. very little if any goes down to the impeller.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

When I run it on the hose, I see water coming out of the water pickup holes on the bottom of the cone, but, better safe than sorry. I think I will follow your lead. My only problem is, I have to have the timing set by my mechanic with a dyno (just changed timer base). I guess he'll have to run it on the hose. I think I'm getting water back down to the impeller, with the hose, though. If not, would I still show 15-20 lbs of pressure? Thanks for your imput, but I want to clear this up if I can.

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

those thing ain't worth a crap. Had no luck with mine. I pull the hose off.
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

If you are putting water in through the tell tale while running it will melt the impeller even though the block shows pressure. If you are just flushing it out you can put water in through there but just don't run it.

At the last place I worked we had to use the dyno or lake test, we didn't have a full test tank so we used water tanks for cattle and could submerge the gearcase with the dyno on it.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I use one of the 3 tube adapters. Works great.

Topic Author
silkeysak
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

How are you attaching that? Are you putting the three lines in the lowater transfer tube on the side of the gearcase? My OMC manual shows a flush point on the back of the lower cowling. It has a thread that is the exact size of a water hose. The manual says you can flush here. Should you only do it with the motor off? All the later 90's loopers have this receptacle. The telltale spout screws into this fitting. You remove it to screw in the hose. I don't want to melt an impeller, but is the manual wrong?

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

The tubes actually go into the three water inlets on your nose cose. It is a slip fit and the friction will hold it in there against the water pressure.

Unfortunately I dont have any input on your other question concerning your other fitting. Just have old cross-flow stuff here.

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

The hose connection is for for back flushing only rising small pebbles and sand backwards threw the systemso they dont go farther in to the system. I back flush every other time I go out .This is real important if you boat in salt or brackish water.you must use a tank, nose cone or that cool looking apperatos the LSaupe has shown . Please dont burn your engine down by not supplying it with enough water as that would suck. Find aplastic barrel cut it in half use it for a tank .Lot of places hve themhotel for laundry soap hospitals ect most well give them awayor charge 5$ way cheaper then a motorjust some food for thought

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post