Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Suggestions for rigging an AE-21

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
JUPITER VALERO
Regular
Regular

Suggestions for rigging an AE-21

Looking for some suggestions before I start rerigging the AE-21 I bought. Anyone have experience with these hulls?? I've got two friends that have HST's which have the same bottom as the AE-21...just looking for some ideas!! Thanks, Steve
1991 Canadian Edition AE-21/Merc 2.5
1997 Checkmate Pulsare 2100/under the knife
1994 Checkmate Pulsare 2100/Merc 225Xri-SOLD
1988 Valero YT Bowrider/Merc 175-SOLD

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for rigging an AE-21

Put a big ole 4.0 rude on it and let it rip!

If I can find a 4.0 rude for my vulture for a good price you can bet it will end up on there. :D

Maybe King can give some ideas what work with his HST seeing the have the same hull design as far as set back and such.

Good luck and keep us posted what works. :)
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
JUPITER VALERO
Regular
Regular

My plans for the boat will be new Livorsi gages with anodized bezels, T&H hot foot throttle, 10" hyd. jackplate (not sure which manufacturer yet), SeaStar Pro steering with the 6345 ram, new stronger transom knees glassed in place, all the wood will be replaced in the original seats shells, new wiring harness, etc. The only real unknown is power. Once I finish the rigging the boat I may drop on the 3.0 liter 225Xri off my Checkmate Pulsare 2100 just to splash the boat and let her feel water for the first time in over 4 years!!

king gill
Regular
Regular

I would have to imagine ya would need alot of setback and some good power to see some good top speed...I have a 260 and 16 inches of setback...I dont think a 225 or 10inches will be enuff ..but I know what ya meen...Ya just wanna try it out :up:

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

16" :o Dang... Thats alot but I hear it does take bunch to really make them HSTs work good but I was thinking the 10-12 range. :D
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
JUPITER VALERO
Regular
Regular

If you read through the tech section on HST/AE21, the guy answering everyone's questions (and also races/owns an HST) reccomends only 6" of setback. He seems to state that more than 6" upsets the balance of the boat....yes, more will help you carry the nose but also bury your tail where you're trying to pack air and lift.....go figure.....I know two HST owners that went from 6" manual setbacks to 10" hyd. lifts and they say it's night and day...

king gill
Regular
Regular

JUPITER VALERO wrote:If you read through the tech section on HST/AE21, the guy answering everyone's questions (and also races/owns an HST) reccomends only 6" of setback. He seems to state that more than 6" upsets the balance of the boat....yes, more will help you carry the nose but also bury your tail where you're trying to pack air and lift.....go figure.....I know two HST owners that went from 6" manual setbacks to 10" hyd. lifts and they say it's night and day...
Night and day as in good or bad????
And with the setback and burying the tail I would say for sure ,but if you dont have setback on your average layup hull you wont see impressive #s on top end,and if ya do you will need miles to get it there...and that aint no fun..but I think that is also why this hull handles awsome at high speed at least mine does...I had it over 100 with a passenger driving with one hand while I was pointing at the GPS with the other...Right Josh :lol: Its pretty obvious by looking at the hull that it aint going to "PACK" air anyways..

Topic Author
JUPITER VALERO
Regular
Regular

king gill wrote: Night and day as in good or bad????
And with the setback and burying the tail I would say for sure ,but if you dont have setback on your average layup hull you wont see impressive #s on top end,and if ya do you will need miles to get it there...and that aint no fun..but I think that is also why this hull handles awsome at high speed at least mine does...I had it over 100 with a passenger driving with one hand while I was pointing at the GPS with the other...Right Josh :lol: Its pretty obvious by looking at the hull that it aint going to "PACK" air anyways..
Hey King Gill, My HST friends said the 10" of setback was better than the 6" setback...but that could also be attributed to the fact that they went from maual jackplates to hyd. jackplates also.....What is your setup like???

king gill
Regular
Regular

I definitly believe you need a Hydraulic...I couldnt imagine trying to get it to run good without one ...with a manual plate and a heavy boat your only gonna get good holeshot or good topend...I dont beleive you can have a happy medium with out sacrifices alot of unseen performance...to get my boat @ topspeed you have to get the propshaft an 11/2 or so above the pad....I would hate to see the holeshot havin a manual on with the propshaft at that height....On my vking a manual worked great but it was a lighter boat than a HST and was overpowered quite a bit...I dont think it is possible to overpower my hull...Captian steve had a manual on his HST..he thought it was fine ..I told him he needed a hydraulic..he said his manual works fine....he finally got a Hydraulic and said it made a huge differance all the way around...
I feel my boat really takes off good for what I got and I am definitly happy with being able to hit 100+..not all boats are the same ...ya just gotta have the money to play with setups..try this and try that..Im not that guy so thats why I bought one that was already setup and ready to rip...I dont know alot but I can try to help ya if ya have any questions...But this is what I have

1991 HST
1996 2.5 260
16 inches of setback
Bobs Hydraulic jackplate
CLE with BOB's nosecone /with allison cut trim tab
27srx worked by DAH
18 gallon Fuel tank
rear floor was removed and battery is located way in the back ...everything is centered

Topic Author
JUPITER VALERO
Regular
Regular

Thanks KingGill, Captain Steve is one of the guys I know along with Ben (Too Gees on S&F). I'm probably going to go with 10" of setback..and if I need it I could always add Bob's 2" spacers..

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post