Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Low water pickup for Merc 175?

Have questions about setting up your boat? Engine height, setback, prop, etc.

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Low water pickup for Merc 175?

I recently purchased a Valero with an overheating problem on plane. The low water pickup only has the bypass hose on one side. After researching, I'm more confused :?: I know OMC v's have to have both, getting mixed reaction on Mercs because less water needed for inline. I have never owned a Merc. First boat was a 14' Lowe with a 9.9 Evinrude at 7 y.o....OMC every boat since.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Bob's Machine Shop, impeller and waterpump have been replaced. Engine looks great overall...great compression too.

Thanks for your time.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: Low water pickup for Merc 175?

What is your water pressure? If it's good as in more than 15 at over 2000 rpm look at the pop off valve it could be stuck shut. It's on the stbd side at the bottom of the block round cover. Also check your stats to see if they are opening.

As far as the lwp I have a bobs with just the one hose and have clost to 30 psi at 7000 with no problems at all.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Ok, bear with me :0) I understand everthing except stats...are you talking about stator? Ordered. Haven't checked the pop-off valve, unless this is with the cowling on and found wax jammed in what looked like a water indicator on OMC.
I'll check water pressure and report :0)

Thanks for your time,

Jeff

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I'm bettin' he meant thermostats.

By the way, what indicators do have that the motor heating up? Alarm, temp. gauge, or other?

Hey, that's a clean looking ride you have over in The Boat Show!
Congratulations and welcome. :up:

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Gotcha...thanks. Yes, replaced.

There is no alarm, using temp. gauge.

Will check pop-off valve and water pressure when reassembled.

Torque reducer on skeg was bolted on...way too much drag....having it welded on.
Just ordered a Mercury 24p chopper...this puppy is gonna fly :0) Preparing myself for the "dope slap" I'm sure to get from my wife :0)

Thanks all for your help!

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Another thing I thought of. If it only overheats while on plane it could be the gasket under the water pump base plate. If this is torn or out of place it will suck air. it only does this while on plane because at slower speeds it's under the water and it doesn't mater if it's sucking.

Just some thoughts. I did mean thermostats it was just too much to type "I'm a little lazy".

Good luck and keep us posted.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Ok, I'll make sure it is checked.

I'm "almost" positive it is an undersized bypass hose on the low water pickup. I'm getting both sides done right. Also replacing stats :oops: entire waterpump and anything else that looks even slightly worn or could cause overheating while it's torn apart.

Any and all thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've been a boater my entire life, but this is new territory for me. I have a lot to learn...learned today, Livorsi gauges are more than a little expensive!

I'm looking at 10/17 for first run and will have gps along :D
I will keep you posted and thanks for all the help.

Jeff

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Jeff I just bought a used gafrig gps speedohead unit for cheap and in keeping with my cheap ways I didn't want to spend the 200 for their gps reciever so I dug throug my stash and found a garmin 35 reciever will work. I see them on ebay for 50. I have less than 75 into mine so watch for a used head unit or buy a new one but this should save some money for the other gauges.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Thanks...gauges are a 'bit down the road but I will start looking for. I wouldn't have been able to get this boat if I weren't a concientious spender...sounds better than cheap :0)

Topic Author
shellyisland
Regular
Regular

Well, it runs and doesn't overheat with the dual low water bypass hoses. The gas tank turned out to be half-full of water...overflow valve was pointing up...think this was the cause.
Started and water was coming out of the rear block :cry: Block is fine, rear gaskets not even there :!:
I'm hittin' the water on Sunday with my fingers crossed :boating:

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post