Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Splash Well question

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Splash Well question

On a 1976 Viper, what was the purpose of the splash well? I have seen guys are closing in the splash well when redoing a Viper or Vulture. What is the best way to go...keep it original and have the well or enclose the well altogether?
When I pulled out the transom, it was all rotten around the splash well drains. Was worried about putting these drains back in, even though they are needed if I keep the well.
'76 Viper Bicentennial in the works

proprider
Regular
Regular

Re: Splash Well question

I'm recoring and putting a new transom in my Viper as well. I decided to keep the splashwell for the strength it must add to the transom area. From my experience working with metal, the more curves and bends make the steel piece stronger. After cutting the fiberglass splashwell to get to the transom, couldn't help but to think all those curves and corners have to make it stronger like it does with steel.

If my thinking is incorrect, than it least it will still look original. I even went ahead and added a gusset in the center of the splashwell also. Good luck with your project.

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

The main reason for the splashwell is to keep water from coming into the boat when you slow down really quickly and that is about it. It really has nothing to do with strength. 90% of the time when guys do deck it over they are also running some knees from the stringers to the transom for added strength. Most people dont replace it as its easier to deck it over and I personally think it looks much better that way.

Now if you have a beautiful original metal flake finish like Jeff does on his Viper, then I would find another way of doing the transom (i.e. Pulling the deck off) cause I could not come to grips with cutting the original splashwell out and then trying to replace it and match the gel and all of that.

Its all personal preference really. I am removing the splashwell on my Vulture and decking it over.
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
rjlehr13
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Thanks for the info. Deck is already off the hull, so I will plan on keeping the well.
'76 Viper Bicentennial in the works

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Uhhhhhh, the splashwell gives you a place to clamp on the motor??? :pound:

Remember, when these boats were designed, there were no V-6's, engines used thumb screw clamps, and jackplates were almost unheard of.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

transomstand wrote:Uhhhhhh, the splashwell gives you a place to clamp on the motor??? :pound:

Remember, when these boats were designed, there were no V-6's, engines used thumb screw clamps, and jackplates were almost unheard of.
I would have to agree here. With the way we do things now days I forgot about that. I know my dads old hustler wildcat, if it wasn't for the splashwell, we would have swamped the boat time and time again. LoL

[ Post made via Android ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

frogII
Hydrostream Addict