Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

My 1984 Venus new floor and ??Re-core & Transom??

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: My 1985 Venus WHAT TO DO??

They were made in MN and in Canada.
Some compitition models didn't have a core but yours does.
10,000 is a little high but you get what you pay for. After doing mine I wouldn't do one for under 5,000. By the time you add up all your materials and supplies it close to 2 grand. That and over 100 hours of labor.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

Go look through my vulture resto topic. I was quoted approximately $8500.00 for mine for core and transom and that was from a very well known quality boat repair and restoration shop. I have full break down of the costs there and I bet 3/4 if not more was labor costs. Actual materials cost is not that all that much. It's all the labor that gets ya. That's why so many guys do it themselves. Myself included.

As for hydrostream down in Georgia, its actually PK Marine and they currently hold the copywrite to the hydrostream name here in the US. Hydrostream Canada is a lot closer to the real hydrostream of the past if you ask me.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
hydrohellion
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

So just got word from my mechanic I had re-mount the motor and seal everything up. He says the transom is in great shape but he was glad I brought in the boat. The genius that mounted the motor used carriage bolts from the inside out with no washers!! He said the motor would have come off by the end of the season for sure, he aslo said that the motor must have just been put on and never really run this way so it's all good.

Get the boat back soon and I'll take up pieces of the floor and look underneath. I'll post pics of everything.

Topic Author
hydrohellion
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi guys just an update and looking for expert opinions.

Traded the old '71 135 merc for a '89 erude 200XP with a blown power head. Found a power head that is supposed to work perfect so almost finished the swap and ready to fire it up.

Done a lot of the upholstery work, with lots more to go.

Ripped out the floor and now looking for advice on how to know if the core needs to be done.

Also not sure if my boat is stock or had work done b4 as the main stringers appear to be a glass tunnel rather than actual wood. Does this need to be removed for a re-core? can it be used again if it is removed?

Here are some pics ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic Author
hydrohellion
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: My 1984 Venus new floor and ??Re-core & Transom??

couple more questions:

What is the best way to support the boat to do the re-core?? Is it better to put it on blocks or leave it on the trailer?

What do u think of using the new oscillating dremel for removing the core and grinding down the glass??

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Set it on a flat plank an support it at the chines so it dont tip. It's gotta be flat though. I used a 4 1/2" grinder and a cut off wheel to cut the lamanant off the core. Looks pretty wet and rotten. The stringers kinda look original with the chop stuff. Make shure and check the transom. There's some pretty good recore threads here so check them out if you havent already done it. Keep up the good work :up:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

tpwolff
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hello Hydro Your gonna love this boat I've owned mine for about 8 years now and it never stops getting comments. Doesnt look like much sitting on the trailer with the cover on but when it comes off people cant help but look at it. It's a beautiful peice of equipment. Everytime I run this thing people stop and ask me if it's a hydrostream and comment on it. You'll love the cuddy(or stabbin cabin) It's awsome to drive. Mine spends a lot of time on the river (St. Croix and Mississippi) and it's kind of hard on it. Mine is a 91 last year for the original streams and I have much the same problems as you have My hull is solid and sound but some soft spots in the floor. I've done countless hours of research on these boats and I can tell you a few things about them. The windshield on yours is wrong I believe the original sloped away from the driver(looked a little strange) was only on the later ones that it sloped back toward the cockpit as does mine but I think it looks better anyways. Mine is also walled off in front of the driver. I believe this was an upgrade wich I have fallen in love with but thats a personal choice. I don't see a ski locker in your's either wich is somthing you might consider putting in as you'll find space is going to soon become an issue in the cockpit area. other upgrades were an optional rail over the front flat part of the deck and a hatch. Mine does not have these but they were availible for your model. I have the original ski setup in mine witch was a ski pole that went through the deck right aft of the seat and cliped into a bracket on the floor. I have a swim platform customfitted to the rear of the boat with a single foldable step wich is a real plus if you plan on swimming off this boat due to getting on and off them in the water is not real friendly. This was also an upgrade through hydrostream. My interior is slightly differant from yours as my front seats are pedestool mounted and swival and are adjustable up and down. My rear seat actually cumes up past the deack as yours only comes to the deck itself. Mine rolles over the rear deck slightly. Mine is all original as it was set up from the dealer or hydrostream. A 200XRi dual cable steering, minimal guages kill switch and flush mounted controls(wich if you don't have I strongly recomend). This was hydrostreams fastest hull not through design but luck it has almost perfect airodynamics. It's differant and will stand out amoung other streams but will always be reconized as a stream. the deck makes it look huge compared to others. If I can help you out with anything just let me know. I live in WI and boating season is almost over here so I will be starting on my rebuild very soon. Keep track of this board The people on it are awsome and their knowledge and skill will become invaluble to you. Be sure to read through the threads on these rebuilds here and on screamandfly. These people have forgot more about buying, building,running, and fixing these boats than I will ever know and the lifetime of experiance is just a question away as they always willing to help. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

hydrostream76
Regular
Regular

i was going to do mine on the trailer,
but i'm going to put a board down the centre to support it
along with the 2 bunks
i think i know the oscilating stripper you're talking about ....
they also sell it in the tv ads
i thought it might be agood idea
but i'd be scared if it "accidentally" goes thru the boat.
we chatted on the phone in the spring kevin,
dunno if i mentioned smithcraft
they've been around for like 30+ yrs family owned business
i was going to call them for supplies, balsa core, etc
they're also good for any questions..local for us,

http://webhome.idirect.com/~edd/smith.html

i finally got the viper here at home, i hope to start on it soon
Louie

Topic Author
hydrohellion
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Ccrick: what size plank do i need? something just the width of the V? how long and thick should it be?

tpwolf:
It is hard to tell but my windsheild does slope forward and out, and it has the rail around the front deck but no window/vent. Thinking of putting one in as my boat is mostly black, but not sure if i can without compromising the structure, I think they may have added more wood reinforcing for the window.

I believe you have the XT which has a ski locker, I have the V-pad so it doesn't have one and i don't think i can put one in (i think this is the case, someone please correct me if i am wrong), Mine did come with the wall in front of the driver but the wood was so rotten I couldn't even get a pattern from it. I may or may not put another one in depending on how much work it will take.

Really interested in seeing your seat mounts, I like the idea of the adjustable height and ability to swivel. Also interested in seeing the back seat and floor mount for it as mine was gone and the seat was again so rotten i had to throw it out right away. I could really use dimensions for the lower part of the back seat.

I'm In Ontario Canada, so winter is close approaching and I don't have heated storage, thinking of maybe renting a space or just doing it in the cold

tpwolff
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

You are correct mine is an xt Sorry about that I thought you said yours was also My mistake. Your stringers are layed out differantly than mine. My boat is on the water this weekend(girls want one last run) but after that I would be glad to send some pics of my baby and send you some close ups of the seat setup they are also adjutable forward and back. Everything on mine is intact so I can also send you the pattern for the wall in front of the driver if you'd like. I'll send you some detailed pics of the rear seat with dimensions and design. One word about the tool used for cutting the core out. I use one of these to cut windshields out of cars(except mine is air opperated) these will cut through the tin around a winshield without effortI\(I know this from experiance)It would slice through your hull like a knife through butter. Without a lot of experiance useing this I would NOT attempt this. Once moving this tool moves very fast and the slightest mistake would have dire consequenses on your fiberglass...JMO. I intend to start my own thread on here for my rebuild and will be looking for all the help I can get so any help I can give would be my pleasure. Don't be afraid to ask and I'll do my best

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post