Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

77 vector recore

Restoring your Hydrostream or just giving it a small makeover? What better place than to show off your project. Big or small.

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

77 vector recore

so i started on the vector today i got the floor out and some of the balsa then it started to rain as my shop is too full to put it in there at least not rite now

so the balsa well there wasnt nothing in there but rubble and rot nothing really hard so iam really glad i started tearing it out cause if i wouldnt have it might have lasted to the tennessee river many more times i cut the under the bow its pretty sold but still some rot

the stringers were not even wood just matting and resin built in a box with the top sealed off with what looked liked pieces of wood in it pretty weird looking and they did not even attach or even go all the way to the transom iam going to get all the floor up before i get too the transom any help and replys will be greatful since this is my first recore so thanks everyone

79 vector missing in action!!!!!

2006 vking center steer

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

Re: 77 vector recore

Looks good so far :up: Plan on replacing all the core even if it looks ok it's going to have moisture in it.

The factory stringers ended at the notch in front of the transom. I built some monster knee's into mine that tie into the transom and flat plate where my splash well was.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

iam going to do the same for the transom ok so this is what i got for matariels so far so help me out i think i got it all rite

3 gallons of epoxy resin made by system three general pupose resin=213dollars
38 inch wide 24 oz double bias stitchmat=around 60 dollars for what i need
12inch wide 9oz fiberglass cloth tape for stringers a 50 yard roll=86 dollars
1inch by 3inch laminating roller
1inch by 6inch laminating roller ========32 dollars for all 3 rollers
3/8ichch corner laminating roller
balsa core 4 sheets 24x48========104 dollars for all 4 sheets

485 dollars plus shipping having a solid hull in a hydrostream priceless

so is this around what i need anything else would be helpfull and will buy for the floor later

2006 vking center steer

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

I don't have a list of what all I needed but should put a detailed one together one of these days.
I know you will need a lot more of everything. Your vector should be similar to my viper.
I'm not a pro by any means but I think mine turned out ok.
10 sheets of core, you should have about 1 1/2 left over if you don't make any mistakes.
10 gallons of resin, buy 5 first as it will go bad if not used in 3-6 months, I went through 15 but some went bad "turns brown from pink" and I used it for my carbon fiber.
I used 50" wide csm 2 layers under the core. so I guess 15 and you will have extra
Same 50" wide stitchmat so it can be doubled up over the core and 7 yards with scraps left over
As far as tape I used 6" and made any other that I needed.
You will also need 2 gal of cabosil it is a thickener for the resin, mixed to the consistency of creamy peanut butter.
Micro balloons can also be used to thicken resin but can shear under strain and should only be used for non structural stuff, it sands easy too.

I used polyester resin for mine, the next project I will use vynalester. There is a project I have my eye on that will get epoxy if it comes to be. Basically I'm saying they will all work.

I went way overboard on everything and have a lot of everything left over.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

ok man if i need that much that makes a big difference on price lol

6 gal of epoxy resin=404

50 bia stitchmat 7 yards =56$

12 tape=86$

3 rollers=32$

10 sheets of core=260

50 chopped mat 4 yards=16$

thixotrophic power cabosil filler 5gal=40$

894 plus shipping

does this look better i want to beable to do it all at one time with out stopping due to my job not knowing when i leave or get to come back home

2006 vking center steer

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

in a older post of mine its around 500 bucks and then i add everything up what i may need againg and its 900 does anyone know how much it will actually take to do a 17'6 vector putting build up resin and matting in the v and balsa on the v sides i dont want to have a whole lot left over as i dont have a nother boat really to work on and to much spare would be a waste of $$$$ i ve had a couple chine in so any more thoughts or might need suggestions will be great and thanks for the responses allready great place of knowledge here on this website and iam trying to take in all i can :up: :boating:

2006 vking center steer

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

ok so i got one whole side done today all the way too the drain and got the drain out and the core in the pad gonna start on the other side and in between the stringers tomorow....

ok i started a topic about using aluminum plate for the core said not too cause it dont flex well what if i didnt weld it together or i just used it for the pad and inbetween the stringers i dont see why it wouldnt work if you dont weld it together it will flex with the resin upon impact i want to use just 1/4 inch aluminum it wouldnt be that heavy and wouldnt take alot of resin to hold it down any more suggestions on my new way to do it or maybe just inbetween the stringers and pad thanks all hydrostreamers :boating:

steven

2006 vking center steer

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

The aluminum absolutely will not work. The whole hull flexes a lot more than you think I was watching my seats and the deck on my vegas as I was taking it back to storage tonight and as I hit bumps everything would flex. My point is that the aluminum will not flex at the same rate as the fiberglass and will cause major stress points at the edges of the aluminum. Same theory as using carbon fiber in the core, I was told not to use it as it's flex rate is different. I'm sure there are more technical ways to explain it but you get the point.

I would also put a core back into the pad, core will weigh less than the amount of glass to equal the strength.

Sounds like you're busting some as* on it.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

thanks that trows the aluminum out i see your point now ok so will continue tomm on the ripping out of the core and then will work on figureing out exactly how much material i will need and will see how much i get done this week before i order the stuff like i said they could call me tomm and tell me to be in californa or the next day be in alaska thats how my job is so thanks again 77viper i know i ask and mention alot about the same stuff just like to get a piece of mind in my thoughts and from other streamers and i do love the carbon fiber on the boat turned out redicoulsly great bad as$ thanks steven

2006 vking center steer

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

If you don't like the idea of rotting balsa, look into foam. See CCRicks posts here on his rehabilitated V-king.

Keep thinking outside the box. :up:

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post