Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

LAUNCHING THE BOAT TOMORROW!!!!

Chat about anything boating or non boating here. Try to keep it clean.

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

LAUNCHING THE BOAT TOMORROW!!!!

Well tomorrow is the big day- I will be taking out the boat for the first time, I hope the water is calm. I would appreciate any advice - I dont plan on running it hard - but I would like to see it do at least 40 mph, I picked up a handheld gps - I figured it would be more accurate than the transom mounted speedo- I switched out the cable steering for hydraulic , put an optima battery in place of the stock acid filled one, fixed the few chips on the bottom, I have to figure out the whole hydraulic jack plate thing along with the tilt / trim. If the boat goes ok this season I will attempt to restore the boat over the winter (new core etc) I like the way Alaskastreamin did his boat very thorough and professional , I will be giving the motor to Ronnie at BPR- he said he can get alot more hp out of my motor for a reasonable price. But for now I need to get some seat time in this thing. I will take pics or maybe a video of the boat in action- I will try to post it so all of you out there in HYDROSTREAM world can tell me what Im doing wrong or how the boat is producing. Thanks in advance :boating: :up:

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: LAUNCHING THE BOAT TOMORROW!!!!

Good luck tomorrow, I think your going to like the Viper, let us know how it does

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I have done a little research on the batteries, seems most outboard charging systems don't really like an AGM battery. I'd just run a regular deep cycle, physically large with a mid rating on the cca. That way the plates are further apart, less chance of warping and shorting. Otherwise have at 'er!

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

77viper
HSF Supporting Vendor
HSF Supporting Vendor

The best advice I can give will come naturally. HAVE FUN! Other than that it will come naturally with time. I'm guessing you will be doing 40 within the first 10 min. and 60 by the end of the day. The boat will be getting on the pad at 60 and will be a handful to drive at first but that will come with time and soon you will be able to correct the chine walk without even trying.

Have fun and wear a good life jacket.
Samari on s&f
Chet Olson

75 viper 2.4 200, 130 shot of NOS
91 vegas loaned out
79 vking project 2.5 280

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi, thanks for the advice, I am going to see if I can fit into my old life vest- it fit a little loose about 2 years ago and I was 35 lbs less in weight- if not then Im off to the boating store, I had a bad time with chine walking on my aluminum boat- (70 hp johnson on a 15.9 foot duranautic ) I ended up putting on trim tabs on the boat as it started to chine walk I dropped the tabs a little bit and it cleared right up- but this set up is totally different. It should be interesting. Right now it is about 7 am and the water on Long Island sound is calm as glass- I hope it stays this way. I will let all of you know how it ran . :D

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Well I'm back- we launched at 145 and the sound was kinda rough- the wind was blowing out of the south at about 15- 20 mph- first off the boat rides like a brick, I guess that is because of the rough water,the waves were 1 1/2 to 2 foot. I have to fix the gas pedal (the spring on it is too stiff) so trying to accelerate was a pain in the but, the steering feels funny too, I am going to look into that and the gas pedal tomorrow, I played with the trim and when I accelerated of the line the boat stood up and then leveled off- if the gas pedal was less firm I could have been out longer and gone faster- I did achieve 40 mph- I did floor it at 38 and it took off I mean REALLY took off - but it was to rough and I had to let off, when we stopped the boat I almost sank it (water came over the transom), the boat did catch a lot of air. Im hoping to go out on monday and try again. :boating:

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Don't tell Ronnie you only went 40, you'll never hear the end of it :nono:
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
Fat Tony
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Went out today and the water still had 1 1/2 to 2 foot waves- I took out the gas pedal and hooked the cable back up to the hand control- wow what a difference. Any how the boat went 55 in that rough water- I found that the boat has a lot of chine walk around 55 I'm not sure how to correct this. I would like to see all the guys on the south shore (where it is very calm) come out to the north shore and run them in Long Island sound as fast as they do on the south shore. I tell you you need a chiropracter after taking the boat out on the sound- Oh I am also getting alot of twisting of the boat on hard acceleration from about 40 and up- (the whole boat twists to the left) is this normal? Well I guess we will try again next weekend. :mrgreen:

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

The twisting your feeling is from the prop, as the prop turns clockwise and the boat is so light in the first place it torques the boat left

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I'm sure it's all personal preference, but I think having the gas pedal is a fantastic idea, that way both hands are on the wheel, and there's less for your hands to do :) I never take my boat out unless it's almost dead calm, or with a little chop. 2 foot waves would be more than I'd want to deal with learning to drive one of these....

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post