Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

200 efi problems

The place for mechanics, racers, or anyone seeking engine-related technical help.

Topic Author
bottomofdaboot69
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

200 efi problems

Hey guys just wanted to post on here to get some input from all the merc guys out there. I have a 1995 mercury 200efi that's giving me some problems. So start off whenever i go to take off before the engines been running all day it sputters real bad and has trouble getting on step. i let off the gas them hit it again and it gets up. Once i'm on step and running it runs fine, no sputtering. But once i been running the boat most of the day i don't have that problem. Then i get to about 4500 RPMs i have about another 1/4 throttle left you get on it and nothing happens. it doesn't fall on its face like its not getting enough fuel it just doesn't do anything. It kinda sputters a little bit but not at all like when i go to take off. I know the engines got more to it but i'm not getting it. before the boat sat up for about 2 years the boat ran high 90's all day long, now i can only get 78 out of it. It seems to me like its a fuel issue but maybe it could be timing as well?? I don't know i'm not as knowledgeable with EFI as i am with a carb engine. Any help would be appreciated. Also to clear up and questions i'm getting about 36-37 psi of fuel to the engine. Thanks guys hope somebody can help me out before i go and spend o bunch of money getting it looked at.
86 Vking YT
84 Vking
8? vector comp
74 Checkmate vmate

AdamDK

Re: 200 efi problems

Could be any number of issues....

Check the fuel filter on the engine, and if you have one on your fuel line, that too.
Drain the VST to remove possibility of water/debris that might be in it.
Check your sparkplugs.
Check the ignition coil.
When was the last compression test on the cylinders?

Do you use a built-in fuel tank or a portable? If using a built-in, try running from a portable. If it still gives the same problems, then at least you've eliminated the issue being with the tank or fuel line.

Topic Author
bottomofdaboot69
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

AdamDK wrote: Jun 02, 2018 7:47 pm Could be any number of issues....

Check the fuel filter on the engine, and if you have one on your fuel line, that too.
Drain the VST to remove possibility of water/debris that might be in it.
Check your sparkplugs.
Check the ignition coil.
When was the last compression test on the cylinders?

Do you use a built-in fuel tank or a portable? If using a built-in, try running from a portable. If it still gives the same problems, then at least you've eliminated the issue being with the tank or fuel line.
I have a built in 17 gallon tank. In the line coming from the tank i have i a big fuel filter, a small clear one right before the engine and the on engine. All three are clean. I ran multiple tanks through it since it started doing this. Every other tank i added sea foam. Just wanted to make sure its wasnt bad fuel. still no change.

I have ignition going to all 6 cylinders, 6 brand new spark plugs, and all cylinders or testing around 120 psi.

I will try running with a portable tank just for shits and giggles but i dont think thats what it is. Whats the odds of the injectors going bad on these engines? is that usually a known problem?

Also to clear my head thinking i may be running a cylinder short i unhooked the plugs one at a time and went run just to see if there was a difference. Every one i pulled you could tell it wasnt running on that cylinder so thats not the issue.
86 Vking YT
84 Vking
8? vector comp
74 Checkmate vmate

AdamDK

Dirty injectors are common. Unfortunately fuel injector cleaning kits can be several hundred dollars so you might as well take it to a shop, if that's the issue.

That's why I made suggestions on what you can try...to eliminate each potential cause.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Topic Author
bottomofdaboot69
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

AdamDK wrote: Jun 03, 2018 6:18 pm Dirty injectors are common. Unfortunately fuel injector cleaning kits can be several hundred dollars so you might as well take it to a shop, if that's the issue.

That's why I made suggestions on what you can try...to eliminate each potential cause.

Thanks for the advice man ill see what i can do
86 Vking YT
84 Vking
8? vector comp
74 Checkmate vmate

AdamDK

Do you run regular gas or premium? these motors hate ethanol, which is usually added to 87/89 octane gas.

Topic Author
bottomofdaboot69
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

AdamDK wrote: Jun 05, 2018 6:05 am Do you run regular gas or premium? these motors hate ethanol, which is usually added to 87/89 octane gas.

93 non ethanol is all i run
86 Vking YT
84 Vking
8? vector comp
74 Checkmate vmate

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post