Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Who is running a 4 stroke on their older hydrostreams

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
braq
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Who is running a 4 stroke on their older hydrostreams

like Viper, V-king or Voyager.
The additional weight might seem disadvantageous but today's 4 stroke don't weigh excessively more than the 2 strokes so I am wondering who made the transistion, what are your experiences?

Also, anyone having tried 50-90 HP on these boats? There is a rough estimation that 60 HP is needed to lift 1000kg (2100lbs) from displacement to plane mode.
I understand that the intention of the hull design is to go faster than that, but the theory should apply in general. Thoughts on this also very much appreciated.

I am thinking of mating a 4 stroke 90HP Yamaha to a Viper, just before getting into the restoration and making the substantial purchase of the outboard it would be great to get some input,

cheers

braq
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse est

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Re: Who is running a 4 stroke on their older hydrostreams

I have an old Merc 85 on a Viper. It's OK to get out on the water and play, and it'll do about 45, but it won't get on the "step" and dance like a Hydrostream should. I think a newer 115 2-stroke would be about the minimum.

As for 4-stroke/2 stroke, I don't think a 4 is a good choice for a Hydrostream. They do weigh more, generally cost more, and don't have the "power" of a 2 stroke. What's are your reasons for selecting a 4? If you already have one and want to use it, that makes a bit more sense. If you are purchasing a motor specifficaly for a 'Stream, I would buy a 2.

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

When we were having trouble with the 90 merc/yamaha on my dads toon I took it off and used one of my vipers to f- with it. What a nightmare. Had to prop for holeshot or top end, could'nt get both ( I have a LOT of props) and the spongy *** motor mounts made it otherwise undrivable. Not to mention they sound like ****. BHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I am however getting a spankin' new 115 ho e-tec for the same boat and next spring I'll keep the results posted here. I think this project is going to be a lot of fun. 75 trouble free gas sipping MPH is the goal.

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I met a guy with a Viper and a 4 stroke up at Lake Place a few years back. Don't recall the HP, but it did appear to run decent. Just such an odd (and quiet) sound for a 'Stream.

I imagine they will make inroads though little by little. Never thought they would be a player in the sled market but they do now hold thier own.

Topic Author
braq
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Hi guys,

thanks for the input.
First and foremost it is about fuel economy, I am still dreaming about some day making the grand tour of the great lakes. Fuel economy and distance between refueling does make a whole lot of a difference then.
I am constantly in repair mode running a 1964 Mercury 1000 (at some point I will have replaced most of its parts ;-), so I am between spending 5K for ~100HP 4 Stroke and what in the 2stroke sector?

Weight is not so much apart

320 lbs - 90hp E-Tec
261 lbs - 90hp Yamaha 2 Stroke

I'd take off those 60 lbs myself... :roll:

cheers

braqq
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse est

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

If its fuel milage I love my fuel sipping 225 etec the diff between it and my mariner 225 is night and day . Im running it on a Voyager getting 75mph at 5200rpm its not proped out to the max but it gets the job done and etecs are 2strokes.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post