Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

My nose fell off

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

My nose fell off

It was just a nose cone and I beleave it was making the boat pull left alittle ?the plan I have is to pull a low water pick up on .we'll here's a picture of the damage and shot my son and I at a 45dree left at 70 mph and all I could think of was putting the hotfoot to the floor the boat came right back stright and stop pulling to the left .When loading the boat on the trailer my seen the cone was gone.

265mercman
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: My nose fell off

havent seen this looks like the paint just came off its more than say 1/8 inch thick is round what paint would be alittle less i belive if its thicket than that from top of paint to part thats gone i would say maybe some bad metal came out and inspect throughly befor just putting on a nose cone and check lower gear oil for signs of water and or metal to see if the metal is coming apart on the inside ive never seen this just what i would do in a personal prefernce
79 vector missing in action!!!!!

2006 vking center steer

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Here a before shot picture . no water or shavings came out when I winteres it . and thank you so much for your help .

rev.ronnie
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

It's an aftermarket, add-on nose cone. Someone bonded it on and didn't tack weld it. If the metal isn't perfectly prepped, it will corrode and let the cone go.

If you are not running over 80, a cone isn't neccissary, or in some cases, desirable. If you are running it non surfaced, which you must be with the stock water pickups, a Bigfoot type nose one would actually slow you down from the drag, especially if you are running a positive trim angle to get lift.

Clean up the nose, repaint it, plug the top 3 water inlet holes, raise the motor a little and run it and see how it feels. I've run non-coned lowers over 80. Make sure you have water pressure.
1990 HST / 260 EFI offshore
1991 Vaserette YT bowrider 200 Merc
1987 Venus XT/ 200 Yamaha
1983 Viper II 90 Merc. triple

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

All that's in the water is the lower unit .It very easy to get on the pad .the motor does start to warm up for a long run and water psi goes way down ,I'm going to be buying a low water pick up and ajack plate .Ive had my boat for awhile now and learn about the boat 1st now it's time to start to hit 90-95 mph mark and learn that then 100+ hoping anyway . But I'm going to try what you said to try . never to good or old to learn . And thank you and I'm very serious about Hydrostreams .

rev.ronnie
HSF Lifetime Supporter
HSF Lifetime Supporter

What does the boat run now, for speed? What engine?

If its already running hot, I wouldn't raise it any more.
1990 HST / 260 EFI offshore
1991 Vaserette YT bowrider 200 Merc
1987 Venus XT/ 200 Yamaha
1983 Viper II 90 Merc. triple

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

That was an old Land and Sea nose cone. You should be able to run about 1 1/2" below the pad with a few of the top holes plugged, and the remaining holes opened up a bit.

That setup is hard on water pumps, it's essential to keep a strong water pump in it. The pump you have is weak, that's why your pressure drops off, it can't keep the block full. You must change pumps at least once a year, twice if you run a lot of hours. Change the complete assembly, not just the impeller, and change the base every other time.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Topic Author
Fly N By
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Wow I'm sure glad there is a site for Hydrostream's .I have alot more to learn . my wife want 's me to buy a new one I only have 20k saved up need 15k more to go . and she want's new voyager with a 300 but can't find any thing new but Storker the Venmon . my son looking at a 91 I beleave Venus with a 225 Rude .My ole 86 Vagus does pertty good on the river we play with some of the big twin 502's It's a great way to get free Pabst .my power head was sent down to TNN and was warm over alittle and the low unit .

varmint1
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Nice looking Stream, hope you get all the little bugs worked out and get back on the water, I also like the truck, what year is it I've had two '84 models one shortbed the other longbed and loved them!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
81 Varmint 2.5 Mag 3
82 Vandal Merc 85
76 Viper Merc 150
84 Valero

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

I know this is a bit off topic, but where is Adams WI? Are you planning to go up to Three Lakes the weekend of June 22nd? Are you on S&F also? By the way, I am in Pleasant Prairie WI, but spend a ton of time in Minocqua WI. Bill

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post