Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Vector vs Viper

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
Fast Viper
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Vector vs Viper

So is a Vector a Viper with 2' added to the nose ? Is the rest of the hull identical ?

The Vectors seem to be able to attain higher speeds . I really don't know much about hull design . But what I can't wrap my head around is why adding a point to the front would make it more stable at high speed . To me that extra bit on the front would catch more air and make blowover more likely. Maybe it slices thru better, the extra bit of weight balances better or keeps it down ????

jacklake2003
Regular
Regular

Re: Vector vs Viper

I'm not sure; good question.

What lake are you on? We have a cottage on Jack Lake in Apsley.

Topic Author
Fast Viper
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

I live on Shadow Lake by Coboconk. My Viper lived its life on Paudash Lake .What kind of boat do you have ?

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

A Viper is a "cut down" Ventura with a different deck. The Vector is pretty much a separate design.

The Registry says the Vector is just an extended Viper, but I don't see it. It may share elements, but it's quite a bit different to me.
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Sonik
Regular
Regular

Vector and Viper are two totally different animals and are no way one in the same....while they are asthetically similar at first glance. This is readily apparent when you put them side by side and start comparing dimensions, strakes, etc.....as I have done many times. I too have heard the Viper to have been a "cut-down" Ventura and based off my limited exposure to Ventura hulls thus far, I'm inclined to agree with Pete.

I'm not sure where you heard Vectors are pound for pound, a faster hull than a Viper and thats an argument that will see no end and I don't think the argument holds any water at all until you compare both at the far upper end of their operating limits. Only there would I agree that the Vector MAY have a slight advantage due to the reduced frontal area = potentially less natural hull/bow lift at excessive speeds. Mine is flighty above 90mph but it is what it is.....a 15' boat being run well outside its original design intent....so keep that in mind. :up:

Jeff

1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI

HST4ME
Regular
Regular

An over powered Vector is a lot easier to drive for me anyway, it gets through the air with a lot less effect due to it's shape unlike the Viper which is like an aerodynamic shovel.

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

i will respectfully disagree with some, the vector is much easier to drive with a v6 than a viper, at high speeds. the balance of the vector with more weight up front handles the weight better, especially if you are talking about a viper1, not a viper2. wilbur weeks, waynes father, who built the motor on the world record vector back in about 1980, told me personally that he could go fastest with the vector, over the viper or viking. by the way, for the neighsayers, just as the bakers would attest to also, waynes vector pad was filled as straight as an arrow, no hook at all.

unless setting a record, if you are running a v6, i would take a viking over either the viper or vector anyday, especially with the added "baker strake" that was originally intended to be on the viking, but was 86'ed for production purposes.

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Hm... not familiar with the Baker strake. Where was it intended to be installed?

JETMORE
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

its an extra strake on each side. i can send you pics of mine, ron baker did add them to my boat when he still owned it. it was in the original design of the viking, but howard removed for production ease.

LSaupe
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Would love to see pics. Sent you a PM.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post