Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

85hp enough for a vulture xt

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
dmess
The new guy
The new guy

85hp enough for a vulture xt

I have recently purchased a vulture xt hule for a $100. I want to get it out on the lake this summer so i have a lot of work to do. my question is a 85hp outboard(unknown make) enough for a vulture xt? i know its small ill upgrade later. my buddy is hooking it up for $200 with throttle control unit and steering box and cables.

also off topic question where is the HIN located at?

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: 85hp enough for a vulture xt

That a lot of boat for an 85. It will move, it will probably even plane, but nowhere near it's potential. The hin on mine is on the back of the boat, right side of transom, not on the transom itself, but on the wing panel (no idea what it's actually called). But mine is a Canadian Edition, yours may be different. Welcome to the site! The Vulture is one if the biggest 'streams, and they handle a lot of power. Check out YouTube, they seem to like 300 hp....

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

Topic Author
dmess
The new guy
The new guy

I've been doing a lot of searching in my area just seems like noone is selling outboards. The 85 is the biggest I've seen. it would get me on the lake this summer. Could it even pull a tuber? I know I'm taking a risk just don't want to be to disappointed

idvette
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Someone else will have to chime in on that one. The only fiberglass boat (besides tinners of course) I ever had under 175 hp was a 14' with a 25 tiller on it, it would pull a tuber. I don't know how an 85 would work on that hull, it may work, you might even see 30 mph, I don't really know... Keep us posted! Maybe check scream and fly if you're looking for a motor for it, I would think you could find something suitable there!

1988 Canadian Edition Vision Sold
1990 Hydrostream Virage Stage 3 Turbo

VultureNo2
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

An 85hp is a pretty small motor for a 20 foot 1000 lb boat. I'd try to hold off and get something bigger. Look on S&F. Also, make sure and check the core and transom. Make sure your boating in a safe ride. $100 seems low for a Vulture xt. I'd be asking myself what's wrong with it, to be selling for that price. A HS hull in decent shape should be around $1000. JMO. When you have enough posts, post a picture or two. I'd like to see the condition it is in. Oh yeah. Welcome to the site. Bill :D

Topic Author
dmess
The new guy
The new guy

Previous owner did like a "core sample" cut out a 12"x24" of the side of the core. Didn't know he was cutting into the hule. So other then that the core looks good. The transom was redrilled for different mount and filled the unused holes. The gel goat or I think it was clearcoated has flaked off from the top side but still smooth on the hull

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

I had a 20ft. Glastron Carlson with 140 rude. It ran ok, but like the Vegas, it was designed for a 400lb. v6.

In your circumstance, with a 15 in pitch prop, it'll plane, and it should pull a tube, but it won't get up on the pad.... which is where the fun lies.

ANY v6 will make it perform as it was designed. The XT is rated for 235 hp.

:up: Welcome to the forum, we always love it when someone revives a Stream. :up:

Btw if you use the small motor, mount it pretty low as the lack of weight will make the boat light in the stern.

Topic Author
dmess
The new guy
The new guy

235hp would be quite amazing in it. I knew I was going to have to throw a lot of time and money into this but I didn't relies how expensive outboard were til now. this is the first boat I have ever owned or even worked on. I have built and own a few 400hp mazda rx7s. this is high hopes but wish to make it into an I/b o/b rotary powered. just because I know the rotary inside and out. also cheap to work on for me. and I could easily get 235hp with a stock twinturbo setup.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post