Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

82 Vector Restoration

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Topic Author
MPS
The new guy
The new guy

82 Vector Restoration

I have an 82 HydroStream Vector that I've started to tear down but realize now I have nowhere near the knowledge/skills to complete the rebuild part. The color is metallic Coco Loco and it looks similar to boat in the picture next to the logo for this website (but not nearly in as good of shape as that one). I have the floor from the transom up through the front seats out. Box is still intact down the bottom of the boat. Transom is removed. Windshield is off. I've owned this boat for over 15 years so it's tough to let it go, but I also have to consider I don't want it coming apart on me while at speed because I didn't know how to put it back together. I have no fiberglass/boat building experience but sure do love driving them.

The entire tear down process started because I noticed one corner of my jack plate was starting to push through the fiberglass on the transom. After removing the floor it was also evident that some of the core in the floor had water in it as well (darker in color) that came about up to the back seat area. After researching the restoration process, all of this seems very common for a HydroStream that needs to be restored due to a wet floor/transom. I started off contacting a few people who have done this type of work but now realize I'm in way over my head.

Question is does anyone out there have advice on how much it would cost to hire someone to put the floor/transom back in properly? Is the boat worth anything in it's current state if I just wanted to sell it? It currently sits on a custom made single axle trailer with aluminum plating down the sides. I really like the boat but am at a point where I'm not sure what to do with it. Any advice would be appreciated.

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

Re: 82 Vector Restoration

Im not sure if you got down to core yet. the core is in the hull. Have you dug into that yet? got any pics? I don't have any info about labor costs, but im learning as I go with my recore

Topic Author
MPS
The new guy
The new guy

I removed the floor and cut a section into the core to see if there was water. I did find the balsa wood had some water in the back part of the boat. You could tell just by looking at it because the color was much darker than the areas without water damage. I attached a picture of the part of the core I took out. I haven't done much else on the boat since due to time constraints and lack of expertise on my side. Good luck with your restoration! Sorry if I'm not very helpful to you. It sounds like you are about at the stage I left off at.
Attachments
Core in bottom of boat
Core in bottom of boat
092900_6.jpg (76.04 KiB) Viewed 3907 times

aaron78viper
Regular
Regular

I currently have all the core out of my boat now, and the transom is rebuilt to the best of my rookie ability. A lot of the guys make it sound simple and easy to do, but I found that to be quite a challenge. there are lots of things to do that I never thought before that. I may even redo it some day.. But for now, it should hold a smaller motor. Im not trying to break a speed record. I do have a thread here with some pics and a lot of questions I asked. As you will find, I am a rookie. http://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1920 Hope it helps

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post