Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

1987 Vegas XT

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
Jorgeinmiami
The new guy
The new guy

1987 Vegas XT

IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG (62.82 KiB) Viewed 9284 times
Looking at a Vegas XT the the hull and top sides are in nice condition. The transom looks solid. My question is the interior. It has the original buckets and bench seats that do need re done. The floor is out and my questions begin here. It has a fiberglass grid stringer system that is loose from the hull that would need to be glassed in.
Could there be a reason that it is not attached to the inner hull? Or is this something that happens? My plan would be to glass in the stringer system back cut the tops of the stringers and fill with pourable foam and glass back. The floor would be 1/2 marine plywood glassed on both sides and then glassed down and carpeted or sea deck.

Welcome comments or ideas on my plan.

Then the fun begins

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

Re: 1987 Vegas XT

Welcome, I agree, your deck looks really nice! Most people on this forum will recommend that you rebuild your stringer/core system close to factory specs. It's lightweight and strong. However, the factory often did a poor installation, hence, rotting balsa and the poor reputation. When you say it's loose, is it loose in some areas or completely loose? More pics would help including behind the back seat. In general, when redoing one of these you'll want to make sure that all the wood is in good shape and well protected, because that's the #1 reason these hulls fail.

Topic Author
Jorgeinmiami
The new guy
The new guy

I should have more pics
but the way I remember it the stringers were in a grid system and were made of fiberglass not of wood and looked to be hollow. They seemed to be under attached in most places from the hull and maybe this was done the the prior owner and he tired of the project. Does this model have a wood stringer setup or is it how I described. Need to take a closer look

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Topic Author
Jorgeinmiami
The new guy
The new guy

Got some more pictures show the stringers
Since its my 1st I'm not sure I'm missing anything.
Are there additional stringer or does the floor rest on what's there?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Attachments
20180911_105239.jpg
20180911_105239.jpg (239.92 KiB) Viewed 9240 times
20180911_1052351.jpg
20180911_1052351.jpg (449.48 KiB) Viewed 9241 times
20180911_105231.jpg
20180911_105231.jpg (160.73 KiB) Viewed 9244 times

Surface Scratcher
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

As far as I know, these boats had a balsa core, and wood stringers, all encapsulated in fiberglass. I think that’s probably what we’re looking at here. When built, they would cover the stringers with fiberglass mat and fiberglass resin. On the second picture straight down from the steering wheel spoke you can see were someone cut the fiberglass mat cover to expose , what looks to me like, scored balsa. As far as the stringer, it looks like it may have had wood in it at one time, if not still. At this point, I’m hoping someone else will comment. I have probably missed some things.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post