Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Vector Re-core Material List

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

AdamDK

Re: Vector Re-core Material List

Im surprised NB being a (somewhat) Atlantic province that boat-building suppliers seem scarce. I guess NS, PEI, and N/L would have the bulk of that industry though.

As for splitting the deck, a lot of guys simply dont do it because they want to keep the original aluminum rubrail. You'll hear stories that once split, you need side supports to prevent spreading. This is exaggerated. My Viper "spread" out maybe 3/4" on each side after removing the deck. Fiberglass likes to retain its shape.

Burnside has a few dealers in NB....

Allain's Sales & Service
21 Ch Cocagne Sud Rd, Cocagne, NB E4R 2J7
Contact: Iona Tel: 506-523-6779 E-mail: outboard@nbnet.nb.ca

Millidgeville Marine Ltd
1022 Millidge Ave Saint John, NB E2K 2P6
Contact: Brian Tel: 506-633-1454 E-mail: millidge@nbnet.nb.ca

Dykeman's Hardware Ltd
72 Adelaide St. Saint John, NB E2K 1W5

I can't verify however how up-to-date this list is though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Topic Author
bhbestcustoms
Getting my feet wet
Getting my feet wet

Re: Vector Re-core Material List

@AdamDK Honestly I was and am quite surprised as well with how limited resources are here. I did reach out to the more local Burnside dealers that you found above... (again thank you very much for the help) Most of the materials that I started with back 8 years ago was actually from the Millidgeville Marine so was glad to see the name come up again. After reaching out to them for the materials we were discussing that I would need they all seemed to point me back to the main Burnside dealer up in N.S.

After reaching out to them I would have to also do shipping with them as the borders are still all shut down due to this covid-19. But certainly still an option. I have been dealing with a rep. from Composite Canada and so far seem to be decent prices even with rough estimate of shipping costs from Ontario.

So far with Composite Canada this person recommended there V901P-X5 Chempulse 901 Vinyl Ester Promoted resin.. at about $186 CND for 5 Gal. I am not sure what the difference would be between this and the product you used. This is where I get really confused and not sure if this may be an inferior product or does it come down to marketing as they seem to list several "different" vinyl ester resins.

They have also recommended the following products for fairing and filling, I guess they are prefab putties instead of additives that I would have to add to resin? Is something like this worth while or would I be better off buying the cabosil or mircroballoons style products for fairing and filling?

This is what I was sent from the rep;

F26 (https://shop.compositescanada.com/#/catalogue/quicksearch/f26?page=1) is bondo for boats basically.

It can be used above or below the waterline without issue.

Super easy sanding and sandable in roughly 5-10 minutes depending on temperature.

Is compatible with polyester or vinylester.

B86 (https://shop.compositescanada.com/#/catalogue/quicksearch/b86?page=1)
Is a structural glass filled putty for radius and filling needs.

Also compatible with polyester and vinylester.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Again with something like this I am not sure what would the recommend amount needed be. Over the last few weeks I have been distracted with the cars with some unforeseen expenses as well as trying to line up a garage space to complete the work on the Vector. So fingers crossed that will pain out other wise I will be out side doing the work lol.

They also mentioned a 3 month shelf life on the resin, so I need to be sure I will be able to use up the product in adequate time.

--- Brad
Hydrostream Owner,
1974 Hydrostream Vector - Under construction est. 2012
https://www.hydrostreamforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1924
Bradley Harris
Bhbestcustoms

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post