Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

Starting a 85 and 87 Vegas XT Recore Side by Side

Have questions about fiberglass, gel-coat, or core repairs well as composite questions?

Topic Author
Kessonm15
The new guy
The new guy

Starting a 85 and 87 Vegas XT Recore Side by Side

OK folks, looking for some insight- I just purchased a 85 Vegas XT a little over a week ago, my dad has a 87 Vegas XT that's been sitting waiting (for a VERY VERY long time) to get done. So with my resent purchase of my Vegas dad has found the motivation to get his recore underway. I have removed the interior and cut the floor out of mine already. He wants to get his to the same spot so we can do it all at the same time.... lord give me patience cause if you give me strength I'll need bail money. They both of course have the textbook failure of stringers cores and transoms.

There are questions we (he and I) have been debating since my purchase.... of course number one being, why the hell would you want to buy one when we can fix mine.... my response was ... it comes down to one word in your question dad, MINE.

So I have searched and searched late night googled for answers to these, but here we go.

Do either hull have balsa in the sponsons? From what I have read and searched I believe the answer is no- but please by all means correct me if I'm wrong .

Has anyone done a Vegas XT recore and documented it full anywhere, so I can see pictures?

Planning on doing both boats on the trailer for the removal of all the bad juju- neither of us have a garage, but can get them undercover for new core install.... jig or no jig needed? We are not looking to race these boats, however I will as I have in his prior to the failure of the core enjoyed putting the hammer down and blowing by the local checkmate crew on the lake. I do not want to knock any of this hull out of alignment- but wondering the trailer is sufficient.

Anyone ever done core removal in stages-meaning bow to dash.. then recored that section, and then dash to mid , then mid to transom? Wondering if only a "small" amount of core is removed and replaced at a time if there is less chance of warp in the hull.

Do I really need to cut the splashwell out to get the damn transom out, also not looking to cut the outside fiberglass skin either.... I know more work- but anyone have any insight to doing it without butchering this baby completely apart.

Any and all insight would be much appreciated as my dad is an engineer and I swear now that hes retired... he has all the time in the world to just sit and stew on how to make this more difficult a process while Im at work!

tnelson77
Regular
Regular

Re: Starting a 85 and 87 Vegas XT Recore Side by Side

Cutting the splash well seems to be the easiest way to swap a transom. I elected to split the entire hull. But that adds some more work. Can't speak to whether or not theres core in the sponsons.

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post