Wondering how to post images or maybe change your avatar or maybe something else?
You can find that and a lot of other useful tips for using the forums in the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base.

To visit the HydrostreamForums Knowledge Base CLICK HERE

please read and answer

The place for all general Hydrostream discussions.

Rut311969
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Re: please read and answer

If I remember right its under 100hp He should be alright but I personally would go with tried n true balsa so it doesnt have to be done again .This lady that is doing your boat might have plenty of experince but if she has never done a stream she dont no sh$t about them and the guys on here do because it is there pasion they are trying to save you money in the long run and keep you and your passegers safe . No one is dissing you as money is tight for all of us we just want to help you build aboat that is safe and somthing you can be proud of .

My biggest concern is that we have yet to here the true name of the stuff she wants to use find it out so some research can be done on it to see if it is the right stuff for you to use cheap is not always best especialy when boating be cause you are responsable for the boat and its passsengers . Unless your like the captin of the Concordia who should be strung up on his ships mast . :evil

Not tring to bust your b$lls just want you to have a problem free boat for years to come .Gota go buy a boat now peace out . :up: :up:

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

Bulsa, foam, bulsa, foam, wood, no wood. If done properly, all work fine. I have foam core in mine and my boat get's abused in a lot rougher water than most in lake st. clair. Done in 08" and still fine. It's not so much the materials. It's all about the lamination, the material has something to do with it but not as much as people think.
Jmo :boating:

Rick.... :boating:

We dodged another bullet today! Hardly any snow :nutkick:
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

ConFuseee wrote:i guess i'm doing half job cause that aint coming out lol to tell you the truth i really dont think its rotted
At the bottom of the V, it will be mush. Think gravity, the worst areas in these boats are the lowest.

Just a quick word about balsa. I'm running a real world test to see how long it takes to rot out properly installed balsa, the test started in 1985......I'll report back when it rots out.....
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

Hippie459MN
Site Admin
Site Admin

transomstand wrote:I'm running a real world test to see how long it takes to rot out properly installed balsa, the test started in 1985......I'll report back when it rots out.....
:clap: :clap: :pimp: :up:

There is proof right there!!! When done correctly and sealed up right you will not have to worry about rot. No sense in cutting corners now just to get it on the water cause it will only cost you twice as much later on and be twice as much work. So take the time, as hard as it might be, and do it right. The payoff will be so much more worth it. As far as not finding balsa core (Or any real composite core) is not that hard to find.

What is this foam she is going to use and what does it look like? I know they make a foam core material but the price for composite core material is usual twice what balsa core is so when she says she can do all that for that little amount of money has me worried. We just want to see you in boat that is built right the first time. Trust me, be patient and do it right! As hard as its been for me waiting for mine to get done, I know its going to be done right and never have to worry about it again. I could have cut a lot of corners just to get it on the water and don't think it didn't cross my mind but financially it would have cost me twice in the end and then the safety aspect of myself and others.

Well, I am tapping out of this one I think.... Good luck on whatever you decide to do but im sure everyone here would say the same thing, go get your boat back and take the time and do right yourself. Not only then will you have the peace of mind knowing it was done right, you can say you did it.

Make sure to get plenty of pictures though as we all love resto/rebuild progress pictures. :up:
-Kevin
Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project Vixen
The Vulture Wish List | Project CobraJet

1977 HydroStream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project. :eek:
1982 Hydrostream Vector
1982 Hydrostream Vamp
1973 Hydrostream Vixen
1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Topic Author
ConFuseee
Regular
Regular

it will be powered by a 50hp mercury until i get the money for a bigger motor, 90hp or 115 ...
and i had her start to install the foam but she isnt redoing up in the bow
1976 Viper Bicentenial
Currently Restoring..

ccrick
Hydrostream know it all
Hydrostream know it all

ConFuseee wrote:it will be powered by a 50hp mercury until i get the money for a bigger motor, 90hp or 115 ...
and i had her start to install the foam but she isnt redoing up in the bow
??? And why not the bow?
1980 Viking
150 Black Max

Topic Author
ConFuseee
Regular
Regular

??? And why not the bow?
cause im not getting under the bow and grinding that out and pain in the *** to split the hull
1976 Viper Bicentenial
Currently Restoring..

Topic Author
ConFuseee
Regular
Regular

i'll do up in there later on and just run that into the floor
1976 Viper Bicentenial
Currently Restoring..

Topic Author
ConFuseee
Regular
Regular

Well i'm thinking about just going to get my boat back from the shop if she hasnt done anything to it yet...
I've been thinking i'm sort of scared what if this lady just doesnt even grind out my stringers / Core between the stringers and fool me and lay floor right over it and i will never know ...
but then again if i do bring it back to my house it will still be done wrong because my dad won't put a core in it period and still wont be replacing up in the bow anyways....... :shock: :?
1976 Viper Bicentenial
Currently Restoring..

transomstand
Hydrostream Addict
Hydrostream Addict

ConFuseee wrote:but then again if i do bring it back to my house it will still be done wrong because my dad won't put a core in it period
:? :? I don't get it? :?
transomstand
Original owner 1975 Ventura II SE

• Random Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post